Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Pacworks

Pacworks

Anybody use this?

Can you tell me about it? How did you & student like it?

re: Pacworks

We have used some of their science courses. Is there anything specific you want to know?

We've liked most of what we've used.

This post was edited on Feb 12, 2018 11:53 AM

Pacworks

How long did it take to complete the lesson?

It varies, but I'd say 30 ish minutes is probably average.

I had my then-9th grade son try the anatomy course and it wasn't a good fit for him at all. It was quite technical with lots of terminology and it took him forever to find the answers for the worksheets. He did not enjoy it.

But... I do think they are good courses. Most of the reviews here over the years have been positive. Too bad the search doesn't work, because there are quite a few threads about it. I wouldn't hesitate to use their stuff if I thought it best suited my student.

We are using American History 2 and Grammar with my son (almost 14 in 8th grade).

Pros: he can use it independently, he enjoys the reading portion, he can skip tests if he does well on the quizzes. Customer service is phenomenal.

Cons: some lessons cover a lot of information and can be long. To remedy this I will sometimes allow my son to skip problems. He always has to answer questions where the number is underlined (those are on the quizzes).

Overall, it’s good. I think it is very overpriced and would be better if it were equivalent to the cost of Aces Paces. We did get a discount though (pastors, farmers, single parents, etc get discounts... just email them for who’s exactly eligible and they will tell you the code to use).

This post was edited on Feb 13, 2018 08:14 PM

I've heard some people use the digital download option as another way to reduce overall cost of Pacworks. (student can then write on regular notebook paper or something. ?)

but yeah, the print version seems rather high compared to other "work text" style of programs on the market.

eta: here is a previous discussion where the digital version was mentioned
http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/forums/1/thread.aspx?id=129669

This post was edited on Feb 14, 2018 07:05 AM

We used one of the English programs and had a Science but ended up taking an online course instead.

We really liked it. My son liked that it was very clear-cut. He enjoyed the character-building vignettes. They were very well-done and not preachy at all but enjoyable to read.

We felt the curriculum was a bit "basic"...it seemed to be very easy for the grade level. For certain kids, it would be a breath of fresh air because it breaks things down simply, has vocab words clearly spelled out, etc.

BUT for whatever reason, I feel that if you need something broken down step by step, and page by page ACE does a better job.

EDITED to say, I didn't even read the above posts, and find it interesting that others are also saying ACE is better. ACE is also a LOT less expensive FWIW

This post was edited on Feb 14, 2018 10:49 AM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions