Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Help with a history spine

Help with a history spine

I am in search of an ancient history book for elementary ages. I want Christian perspective because I want to use it alongside SOTW to intertwine Bible history with the rest of history. My other requirement is that it be interesting. It can be a story book or a text book or whatever. I'm open to all suggestions. It only needs to cover the most ancient of time periods because I have other things for Ancient Greece and Rome.

I've already ruled out Mystery of HIstory because I find the writing style annoying. Perhaps I will get over it and use it anyway if I can't find anything else.

I own The Story of the Ancient World by Christine Miller but it's a bit too in depth - if I'm only doing one lesson on King David, for instance, I can't read 4-5 chapters about him in one lesson.

Any other suggestions of things I could look at?

re: Help with a history spine

hmmm... I might suggest
Journey Through the Bible. (sometimes called Victor Journey Through the Bible. sometimes titled David C. Cook Journey through the Bible. you know how book titles and covers change)

here is the book I mean and has a "look inside" option
https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Journey-through-Bible/dp/156476480X#reader_156476480X

and then read the scripture listed for that section from any translation you like. It might be "boring" to you. I found it usable because most things were one page, or maybe two pages and it has photos.

Well, I was going to suggest MOH Vol 1, but I see that's not what you're looking for. Something else that might work is picking up a Truthquest guide and getting a few recommended books from their list. They have excellent book choices and also have a commentary of sorts flowing through each guide. You could probably mesh your SOTW into it pretty easily. I believe their Beginnings guide might be the one to look for. Might be worth a look.... ;)

More about the Beginnings guide:
https://www.truthquesthistory.com/store/products_spine.php?itemId=42

***I noticed they actually site SOTW 1 as a resource/possible spine text for this guide.

This post was edited on Feb 09, 2018 09:18 AM

another one to look through could be biblioplan. on the 3 week sample that I have (from 2013), SOTW was an optional spine

Thanks for those ideas. I am really considering MOH again... it's all done for me. Hmmmm.

Never mind ... I should read more closely! :-)

This post was edited on Feb 10, 2018 12:54 PM

Diana Waring is wonderful for ancient history - modern. Her first volume of ancient history has a solid Biblical integration.

We love her CDs in the car, but I have heard some find her talking too fast. Her talking speed is normal for the area we live in.

Her books are similar to the CDs and I think would go well with SOTW.

I have used both MOH and Diana Waring, and we like Diana Waring better. She has a warm style that integrates a solid Christian worldview. She also had a strong interest in archeology that is fascinating. You could look at samples and see what you think. Lastly, we haven’t found the Diana Waring assignments to be necessary.

Thank you for all the suggestions. Right now I'm waiting for a copy of SOTW 1 so I can look that over. I might do a combo of Diana Waring, MOH and SOTW, or just straight MOH. It will depend on what I think of SOTW. That probably makes no sense! :D

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions