Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Funny, lighthearted books

Funny, lighthearted books

I know this topic gets bright up a lot but i need book recommendations for my 10yo dd. My 12dd, i can't keep up with her reading. She reads at least 2 books a week and has a list of what she's excited to read next. 10dd, not so much. She has a few books she's liked and reads those over and over. She's read some little house books and likes them but not enough to be eager to read in her spare time. She's read the fun jungle novels by Stuart Gibbs and loves them. She's not interested in his spy/space case series though.

I'm at a loss. So far the recommended books for her age group have a lot of drama (parent dying, divorce, dog dies at the end, bullies, first crush) that I don't care for her to read about.

I'm looking for fun adventure with a happy ending, no boyfriend/girlfriend, no traumatic life events. Any thoughts?

re: Funny, lighthearted books

My dd 11 and at 10 she was reading magic tree house but for younger age but fun to read! They go on adventures! Here is a few more I found, and the info on them you can read what the book is about.

Tru and Nelle- Long before they became famous writers, Truman Capote (In Cold Blood) and Harper Lee (To Kill a Mockingbird) were childhood friends in Monroeville, Alabama. This fictionalized account of their time together opens at the beginning of the Great Depression, when Tru is seven and Nelle is six. They love playing pirates, but they like playing Sherlock and Watson-style detectives even more. It's their pursuit of a case of drugstore theft that lands the daring duo in real trouble.
Humor and heartache intermingle in this lively look at two budding writers in the 1930s South.

Our Only May Amelia- It isn't easy being a pioneer in the state of Washington in 1899, but it's particularly hard when you are the only girl ever born in the new settlement. With seven older brothers and a love of adventure, May Amelia Jackson just can't seem to abide her family's insistence that she behave like a Proper Young Lady. She is sure she could do better if only there were at least one other girl living along the banks of the Nasel River. And now that Mama's going to have a baby, maybe there's hope.
Inspired by the diaries of her great-aunt, the real May Amelia, first-time novelist Jennifer Holm has given us a beautifully crafted tale of one young girl whose unique spirit captures the courage, humour, passion and depth of the American pioneer experience.

The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy- This summer the Penderwick sisters have a wonderful surprise: a holiday on the grounds of a beautiful estate called Arundel. Soon they are busy discovering the summertime magic of Arundel's sprawling gardens, treasure-filled attic, tame rabbits, and the cook who makes the best gingerbread in Massachusetts. But the best discovery of all is Jeffrey Tifton, son of Arundel's owner, who quickly proves to be the perfect companion for their adventures.
The icy-hearted Mrs. Tifton is not as pleased with the Penderwicks as Jeffrey is, though, and warns the new friends to stay out of trouble. Which, of course, they will -- won't they? One thing's for sure: it will be a summer the Penderwicks will never forget.

Big River's Daughter-- Raised by her pirate father on a Mississippi keeler, River is a half-feral river rat and proud of it. When her powerful father disappears in the great earthquake of 1811, she is on the run from buccaneers, including Jean Laffite, who hope to claim her father's territory and his buried treasure. But the ruthless rivals do not count on getting a run for their money from a plucky slip of a girl determined to find her place in the new order.
When Alice's Aunt Polly, the Pie Queen of Ipswitch, passes away, she takes with her the secret to her world-famous pie-crust recipe. Or does she? In her will, Polly leaves the recipe to her extraordinarily fat, remarkably disagreeable cat, Lardo....and then leaves Lardo in the care of Alice.

PIE-
Suddenly, the whole town is wondering how you leave a recipe to a cat. Everyone wants to be the next big pie-contest winner, and it's making them pie-crazy. It's up to Alice and her friend Charlie to put the pieces together and discover the not-so-secret recipe for happiness: Friendship. Family. And the pleasure of doing something for the right reason.

We also go to the library and we look to see what new books there is. Also if you have a library that can get books from other libraries mailed in, you can go on the library web site if they have one, and look to see what their is under certain subjects she may like. I have a very picky reader and there is so much out there.
You said she has read Little House on the Prairie ? They do have The Martha Years, The Charlotte Years, The Caroline Years. And than The Laura years ( Little house on the Prairie) and after that there is The Rose Years. All little house on the prairie books but Laura's Mom, Grandma, Great Grandma, the first books there about and then Rose is after Laura Ingalls. All neat books. I hope these help, just some ideas for your dd.

re: Funny, lighthearted books

Nancy Drew! :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions