Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: re: 7 and 8 grade Christian Light Education Literature

7 and 8 grade Christian Light Education Literature

Any opinions on the 7th and 8th grade literature?

re: 7 and 8 grade Christian Light Education Literature

We use CLE reading all the way up to grade 8 and love it. I could try to answer more specific questions if you have any.

I had my son try it this year and it felt kind of like busywork. The lessons are pretty long. The reason I wanted him to use it was to learn literary terms, and it's a lot more than just literary terms, so maybe that was my problem. There's a lot of other stuff, like vocabulary and comprehension questions, which we didn't need. But I know a lot of people really like CLE Reading.

kanda I'm looking for 8th grade comprehension questions along with whole stories and not snippets/excepts. I also am looking for something that's not too tricky to answer. I don't mind vocabulary, but I'm not looking for anything that requires essays. Would you say it's advanced or grade level? Pros and cons?

Thanks for reply too ErinD ;)

This post was edited on Feb 05, 2018 08:36 PM

It is a reader, so it's not quite the same as reading novels. Every lesson is a complete story, but it may be a condensed version. Not sure if that answers your question. There are no essay questions. I'm just looking through my answer key, as I don't currently have the lightunits for it, and no answers are more than 1 sentence. There is definitely vocabulary. And lots of literary terms. I don't really know if it's grade level or not, as this is all we've pretty much used. I love the lessons each story teaches. There are definitely some Mennonite beliefs coming through, particularly pacifism. While I don't share those beliefs, it's not a big deal to me and we just discuss some of those ideas when they come up. There are also lots of poems in the readers, so that genre gets covered as well. Hope that helps :) CLE's website does allow you to see samples of all the lightunits.

kanda, that sounds good to me. I just have dd read books that I assign for pleasure reading or that goes with our history, but we are not big time readers. I want exposure to the things you mentioned that are in these CLE units. You answered my question perfectly. I wasn't sure if they assigned books, so you cleared that up. I couldn't tell from the examples. I appreciate you looking at your key. I'm like you, no biggie on the mennonite stuff since we used a couple of things from Rod and Staff and CLE in the very early grades. (Iv'e got a question on the highschool forum side too, but I think you used it up to grade 8.)Thanks!

This post was edited on Feb 06, 2018 12:53 PM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions