Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Highschool Grading

Highschool Grading

How do you grade for high school?

For example, for Algebra what percentage do you use for tests and what percent for daily work?

How hard / easy do you grade essays? What do you base the grade on? What percent content / thought and what percent mechanics of writing?

How do you grade history if you don’t use tests? Effort? Papers? Number of books read? Discussion?

My oldest is in 8th, and I’m starting to research these issues a little.

If you paid the small fee for HSLDA to do your transcripts (not their classes, but their transcript service) did you like it?

Thanks!

re: Highschool Grading

I like these questions with lots of variety of right answers. hope to hear lots of ways.

Q. For example, for Algebra what percentage do you use for tests and what percent for daily work?

A. In math my students self checked their daily work and recorded what they did. Then they corrected the missed stuff. I did not really use the daily work points as part of the percentage for overall grade. Daily work showed me if they were ready for next day’s work and ready for test. If average of test grades was borderline on a plus or minus, then I did look overall how that compared to daily work set.

Special ed student: whole different story there.

Science: we used the suggestions the publisher had.

Q. How hard / easy do you grade essays? What do you base the grade on? What percent content / thought and what percent mechanics of writing?

A. I was using mfw. There were guidelines on that and rubrics for evaluations in the resources we used. Final grade was after 1 or 2 drafts. I was probably too easy. When oldest got to college and I saw how freshman English comp classes were graded similar to what I was doing (drafts as check and check plus, final with subjective feel of did you follow the assignment).

I recommend you search on essay rubrics or see if the publishers you use have some kind of metric already in the material for that.

Q. How do you grade history if you don’t use tests? Effort? Papers? Number of books read? Discussion?

I used mfw and they had suggestions. Rather than me typing all of that, I’m going to link to samples of their stuff and you can scroll through the sample to see what they did in ancients (look at page 14-15) which did not have tests in history grade.
https://www.mfwbooks.com/downloads/pdfs/allsamples/ahlsample.pdf

however in some of their years they did have tests if you’d like to look how it got assigned that might be helpful to see with the blend of tests, and other.
world look at pages 11-13 and most of those had rubrics in other stuff, or I made a scale for the maps. https://www.mfwbooks.com/downloads/pdfs/allsamples/whlsample.pdf
and US 1 (pages about 14-15 again) https://www.mfwbooks.com/downloads/pdfs/allsamples/us1sample.pdf
and US 2 program (grade 12) had a slightly different feel. https://www.mfwbooks.com/downloads/pdfs/allsamples/us2sample.pdf

That’s what I did. Not trying to say use their materials. Just saying that’s how I figured out what to do.

Q. If you paid the small fee for HSLDA to do your transcripts (not their classes, but their transcript service) did you like it?

Did not use.
(in case it matter Why not?) I live in a state where we use cover schools to legally homeschool. Those schools provide transcripts. If I didn’t have cover school, I would have used a template for transcript (lots of them out there for google search), and made one in excel or word processing. And use an online GPA calculator to input that stuff. Do it a little each year and save. Transcripts are one page summary.

I’m sure it’s a good product and service they offer. and if it takes stress out, sure.

I have however, ordered cap and gown and tassel from them. That was nice. and ceremonial diploma was from cover school.

For math, I grade daily work and tests. The final grade is based on 50% daily work and 50% tests. That's the way the schools around here do grading, so I adopted that. I do the same for science because there are daily work and tests there, too.

History is more subjective because we don't do tests, so for all the subjective courses I do a letter grade. I give an A if they put in good effort and do all the required work. If they struggle with things, I might give a B. It's pretty subjective and not an exact science.

For essays, I don't accept anything other than what I think is a good paper. They revise and rewrite until it's good. So then it's always an A paper.

Like cbollin said, there are many ways of grading and probably none are better or worse than others.

How do you grade for high school?

For example, for Algebra what percentage do you use for tests and what percent for daily work?

(Most of the core classes, I grade 75%-tests and 25% daily work)

How hard / easy do you grade essays? What do you base the grade on? What percent content / thought and what percent mechanics of writing?

(We currently use Jensen's format writing, and it comes with a format for grading essays.)

How do you grade history if you don’t use tests? Effort? Papers? Number of books read? Discussion?

(Sometimes we use tests, and sometimes I have them write a small paper about something they learned in the chapter.)

My oldest is in 8th, and I’m starting to research these issues a little.

If you paid the small fee for HSLDA to do your transcripts (not their classes, but their transcript service) did you like it?

(We did our own transcripts.)

We kept it super simple. Our curriculum comes with tests/quizzes and some daily work. Those were used for grading and we didn't weight anything differently. It was a collection of grades to average to get the grade for the course to put on the transcript. This way was simple and straightforward and served us well. There's plenty of ways to grade, but we wanted to keep it easy to implement.
In the end, it didn't matter a bit on their entrance to college or how they are doing there.
HTH
Michelle32

Thank you ladies for all of your help!

I am glad to know it can be done in a variety of ways. It also helped to hear your experiences with colleges regarding grading & transcripts.

Thank you too cbollin for the links!

😊

another thing to look ahead on would be course descriptions. The places my children applied did not ask for them.
Other places do ask for them. Therefore, it's worth the time each year to write a simple one just in case.

I kept such a file and most courses were about 1 paragraph narrative description similar to what course catalogs at local high school looked like. hslda has several samples to browse as well. When possible I used the narrative course description from the publisher. kept it simple.

I'm glad I heard about that sometime during oldest's grade 9 year. made it easy to do them at end of year.

and also, track your "volunteer hours" with log (and have volunteer supervisor initial it as you go along). Some scholarships will want that kind of info and having it whole time is easier than digging it up retroactively.

having a list somewhere of awards earned (and activities) will be helpful too to make as you go. no one asked our reading lists.

I don't mean all of that to sound overwhelming or anything. It's just it takes on a new role from teacher to guidance counselor. and some stuff is easier to do as you go along.

I did use another link on mfw's site that was a planning guide for high school years that was little to do with their products. Here
https://www.mfwbooks.com/wps/portal/c/HSPlanningGuide

Thank you cbollin for another link and the forewarning! I can see how writing the summaries as we go and tracking activities and volunteer work would be much easier than trying to re-construct it later. Thank you for posting that information.

I’ve been looking some at the MFW links, and I’m finding them helpful.

Thanks!😊

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions