Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Would or does this affect your testing methods in high school?

re: Would or does this affect your testing methods in high school?

My children take zero tests except for the two times they took the IOWA and the prep book practice tests before each test. They all scored in 98-99% even the child who suffered severe head trauma from a near fatal accident almost 4 years ago (praise God there was no lasting effects from that!)

My oldest last year took the accuplacer to see if she could start at the university, at 14 years old, and got a near perfect score on it in English/reading sections and math she placed well into college algebra which she aced (highest score in class of 164 at university).

All math tests were computer based, some multiple choice questions and some provide the correct answer. Her English class ENC1101 was all composition, no tests at all. She scored a 95% in that class.

Now she’s in College French and Calculus as a 15 yo. Has As so far in both.

Never/rarely took a test in homeschool. I didn’t grade. We certainly leaned to CM methods although I never did read all her books or the books pertaining to her method. I did read WTM and loved it, but didn’t really implement it as written.

Lots of good books, lots of digging in deep, slacking was not allowed, internet was not restricted for research. But no tests, no scantrons, no grades.

Really, you need very little practice of testing to actually do well on it. Just be sure a child knows how to find the answers he/she needs, instill a good habit of pursuing schoolwork (we have always emphasized the importance of an education to be able to do what you want, and set goals - it is ok for a kiddo to know what they want to do and pursue it rather than an “oh go in with an open mind and explore your options” approach. While this is ok too, a dream or a plan is great.

And make sure your kid can clearly, intelligently, and logically put on paper what is in their heads. The greats of yesteryear were WRITERS, not scantron bubblers.

yes, for some people testing comes naturally and they need little practice. for others? they need more practice. :)

That's strange because my son's college courses have a LOT of writing. It's a community college and class sizes range in the 30's so they are smaller than incoming University classes. But in EVERY subject from Art History, to Political Science (Government) to English (of course) to History of Western Civilization every quiz had multiple min-essay answers due which reflected over 50% of the grade.

So...I personally would not do a lot of multiple choice stuff. In fact, my son was so worried that Anthropology would be memorizing names and dates ad nauseum and he was thrilled to find that even this professor wants students to connect over-arching ideas, not memorize dates of specific events in anthropological timelines.

I am sad about your college student experiencing that. Is is a huge university?

It’s not the largest in our state, but it is large. Class size at this level are over 100.

My adult kids have experienced such varied testing methods in college that I don't think tailoring the testing methods I use in high school would be worthwhile.

In some introductory classes (psychology and sociology come to mind), they have had only multiple choice (and maybe some fill-in-the blank or true/false) questions on quizzes, tests, and exams. In other introductory classes (history, English), they have had to write papers and essay exams. Still others have had a mix of multiple choice and longer responses on exams (sciences, foreign languages). Higher level classes and graduate/professional school tend to require more writing on exams and in general.

My kids have taken some multiple choice tests in high school, but I haven't made it a priority. They take the PSAT and SAT/ACT. Math-U-See includes multiple choice questions on their tests. I sometimes use tests or test questions that come with a textbook or that I find online, which often include multiple choice. It seems to be enough.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions