Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Would or does this affect your testing methods in high school?

Would or does this affect your testing methods in high school?

I have noticed in my ds college core classes (not small class size) that his tests are multiple choice or fill in blank style...even scantron. Never to write anything at all.

Though English was compositions that were graded.

I’m wondering if knowing that this is what your dc will face as they hit college if you tailor your testing style to this method?

He did abeka so this sort of test is old hat for him.i know even bju has this sort of testing too. But I do have other dc to hs. In some instances, I’ve chosen a more CM approach.

And then you do hear also about writing across the curriculum...hmmm? What is the balance here?
Does it matter?

Is studying for a multiple choice test different than taking in information for a written assignment? I’m sure most students can adjust, but I’m wondering if this affects how you do things?

re: Would or does this affect your testing methods in high school?

My oldest (senior this year, 3 STEM majors electrical engineering, comp sci, math): Her freshman year she had a variety of testing styles. Yes, there was even writing in her intro to engineering. Humanities class had to write short answers, and synthesize readings. Psychology was the all multiple choice. English of course had compositions. Math was most definitely not multiple choice for her. I don't think physics that year was either. I remember her saying something all you have to do to pass the psychology exams is go to class, pay attention, remember the examples, and read your text. I guess it was similar to that year of BJU US history.

I'm not sure her experience is similar to what your student is having as she's STEM major and has problems to solve and things to write. Even in the required religious studies (not necessarily Bible classes, but study of religion as general ed), it was not all multiple choice.

Middle gal so far is doing CLEP testing which is all multiple choice (except composition obviously will need one. )

Not really sure on the question about studying differences. Some m/c test have "tricky" answers that still require you to read closely. I know with middle gal she can remember stuff easier with options and think through it. But if those CLEP exams required fill in the blank she might not recall as fast.

Not sure any of that helps you in the discussion.

Over the years we did mostly textbooks, but a lot of read-alouds and other things as well. It was a mix. When we used Abeka and BJU in the high school years, we did the tests/quizzes. Our kids also did yearly standardized tests. They were adequately prepared for T/F, MC, etc...Test taking skills are important, but can be practiced later on. Enjoy your CM time! You can pick up some workbooks in those formats for practice. Hudson Tiner has some great science based Christian workbooks that have some MC/TF/Fill-in the blank work. They can be used for reading comprehension and practice on those test taking skills without
being heavy schoolwork. :)

Mcihelle32

Well ds is a chem e with business minor and for now this is what kind of tests he has at the major univ in our area. Not in math though. I guess I really shouldn’t be surprised as it is a very common testing method, but I guess because with my 10th grader I’ve done little of this kind of testing this year..I got to thinking about this.
We always test math, but I’ve had her doing more written narration stuff this year mainly because I didn’t use traditional texts for history. And the apologia biology...you know what those tests are like...not that that’s a disadvantage. If you can answer those surely mc will only help.
Anyway, I feel she will be prepared for college despite this. They will adapt but from a parent’s point of view homeschooling I have a twinge of ....get a curriculum that tests like the college will test. I guess I’ve only made this departure from this type of testing in history.
I’m sure different colleges differ somewhat. But so far it definitely sounds like your experience is more varied than my ds.

M32
Thanks for the tip on the Tiner books. I’ll check them out.

That is one of - though by no means the only or exclusive - - reason I do not agree with the CM method.

Today, my oldest (and her senior classmates) had to give their senior presentation in their project class. No multiple choice there. Lots of "narration" involved to expand on the power points they made. all of those students did excellent work. 13 minutes to lecture, then 2 minutes for questions from audience.

you know what? she figured all of that out in college. I didn't do a good job on any of that in high school. She didn't have to do that in freshman year either. maybe we did one power point, some time? maybe? and getting her to answer out loud with stuff?? yeah right. But today she seemed like it was a breeze. She even remembered to not stand behind the podium.

If one is wanting to practice more with the m/c thing, take a free mooc online at audit level, or do a practice test with clep. look into modernstates.org for that and some practice tests. practice for things on quizlet.

if the question would I jump in the time machine and change her high school in light of large college? no. I provided variety so she was exposed to variety and she experienced variety . She's attending a smaller university (with high ranking in engineering in the region).

scantron practice: here's something so they can see a fill in the bubble
https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/pdf/sat-practice-answer-sheet.pdf
or
https://www.homesweetlearning.com/res/4392i75700/647w831r60/ScanTronAnswerSheet.pdf

They'll see that on ACT too :)

and don't forget Blue Books, right? well, all I did was tell my daughter those existed and she might have to write in them and to get them at bookstore when needed? I've never heard of her needing them but other people might have needed that. find one, right? less than a dollar in office supply stores or a college bookstore near you. I never saw one in high school. learned it really fast in college. no one in my high school thought it was important to teach ahead of time.

anyway, sounds like lots of different experiences so good to hear how it's same/different.

Sixwaterpots,
DS has had to do a lot of papers over movies, books, and
his views on topics covered in class. I think laying a good foundation for writing is important too. That was my son's least favorite subject area in HS, but we just kept plugging along. He's doing well with all the writing required in his classes so far. CM has it's benefits too. :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions