Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Abeka biology users

Abeka biology users

Could someone tell me if Abeka biology has any labs or activities in the text itself, not just in the lab workbook? I know in the sample, there is one that has the student bringing some kind of branch to class to identify fruits and leaves, etc. Are there more of those kinds of activities in the text?

Thank you.

re: Abeka biology users

No labs. There are suggestions to go outside and identify plants, observe something, things like that, but no, no labs.

ETA: I am referring only to the student text, I do not own the teacher book, which some people buy in lieu of the student bc the answers are in the back. Perhaps the spiral bound teacher book has more, that I do not know.

Hope that helps.

This post was edited on Feb 01, 2018 03:25 PM

Also (sorry for having to make two posts), the Activity suggestions to go outside and observe or gather leaves or whatever, my dd says happen quite a bit in the text. These are her words, I haven’t read it.

If you are asking for the purpose of doing high school bio next year, my friend, get yourself the book, add in those suggestions, and for less than $20 get a dissection specimen kit from RR - has 4 critters in it. No fancy equipment necessary. Google what to look for and identify for each specimen and you’re good for bio.

The only thing additional we did was watch Biology101 DVDs, which we found quite entertaining.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I am anti-dissection, because I just can't handle it. Ew. :D So that won't be happening here. I am glad to know the "go outside and observe" stuff is pretty regular. I'm actually more interested in that than "real" labs. It sounds a little bit nature study-ish.

For us, it doesn't matter as far as colleges go if we don't do real bio labs.

well, wanted to add some opinion on labs.

I think of "field studies" as real labs. But I'm bias because field studies were some of the labs in the text we used (which was not abeka). But making "macro observations" (field studies with your eyes) counts, doesn't it? at least for some of it. right?

and you can watch dissections on youtube as far as I'm concerned. no argument from me. although this does not go to a family that used abeka (they used apologia), you can find similar dissections and watch if your students are interested. here is one example. (I don't know these people but we used their video to watch crayfish dissection with youngest) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HO_GymZh6Y

Ah, good point! Yes, field studies. I like that.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions