Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

101 dvd series ?

101 dvd series ?

So do you love these as supplements to your high school science courses?

Science is always so expensive already, but I would try to purchase these if they truly are great.

Opinions?

re: 101 dvd series ?

disclaimers ahead for my personal opinions: You know how it goes in homeschool, we can make anything work for individual needs.

I've used bio, chem, and physics.

My strong opinion on biology is that it is supplementary material And I think it's a a lot of work to use it to build a credit for regular needs high school with the accreditation book as written as I think the time frames suggestions are greatly exaggerated, and never get to the high school level (c'mon, you don't need 2 hours at a restaurant to sort silverware and then never learn about biological keys.) That does not mean one can't use it or is doomed about college. Not every single class has to be full on college prep to make you college ready.
Those who do unit studies and charlotte mason style probably are the ones most able to do the work needed to make it at level. My strong opinion is that bio 101 needs a lot of work to have the typical high school topics. It is very light and not a lot of depth into topics.
With that said, we enjoyed watching it. I found the so called experiments to be lacking and the suggested time frames to be an exaggeration for those logging hours.

Sorry if that is too harsh of an opinion and is offensive to those who did use it for their main part of their course. everyone is different and I know the series has fans who love it.

chem 101: This one in the series adds some nice history and humanities approach with some topics that get a minor mention in texts. I found it supplemental in nature even for my special ed student. I've read something that someone said it assumed prior knowledge on atoms and such. But I don't think so. I also strongly don't think this is easy to convert to full year. But it was a good watching and viewing and we liked it.

physics 101: My special needs youngest used this as a semester of Introduction to physical science as a 9th grader. This was our favorite of the 3. I personally could not call it "physics" due to lack of needing math. Easy to call it a semester with the number of topics and weeks, and taking 3 days per week to watch, do, watch again, and quiz. light and enjoyable.

Again, not every science class you take has to be rigor or college prep to be college ready in non stem. And there are times that a get a basics overview course helps some students. yes, my youngest is "special ed" track. My other children liked to watch them just as as supplements.

wished we lived closer, I'd sell mine to you. :)

Thanks, cb! I would only be using it as a supplement, so I can’t see spending the money in my school budget unless it is super duper great. I appreciate the insight. I’ll probably pass.

Take a look at Friendly Biology and Friendly Chemistry......they are truly highschool level. Marne

and (as usual on this), seconding and agreeing with "derf" on friendly chemistry. (friendly biology wasn't finished in time for us). but oh, clap my hands for friendly chemistry. that is what we used for main, and then enjoyed 101 dvd chem as extra to watch.

if we had pm ability on here, I'm sure I could find good price for 101 to sell. They are well done videos. We honestly liked them.

Not to put a monkey wrench in things as it looks like you’ve already decided against them, but since you asked, we like them here. While I wouldn’t consider them a full credit even with the extra activities, they sure make the topic interesting and much more understandable. In fact, after watching biology 101 last year, many times during the year one of my kids would say - oh yeah - I remember that from the video.

I have bio, chem, and physics also. Even my 10 yo found parts entertaining. Oh, and it certainly helped to put a Christian focus on our otherwise secular bio course.

Thanks ladies for more insight. Maybe it would be good to add in. I’m thinking that this is like the icing on the cake for us since I plan on using a regular textbook approach.

Cb, yes pm would be good. I’d love to get them at a good price. I don’t have a shareable email though. Oh well.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions