Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: re: Essentials in Literature/writing

Essentials in Literature/writing

Have any of you tried this out?

I’m thinking of combining my two high schoolers next year for English to streamline things a bit if possible. I am seriously thinking of doing EIW and the literature with EG Ultimate all at the grade 9 level since we’ve never used this curricula and my younger hs is grade 9.The older hs will be 11th grade and enjoys literature but really draws a blank at writing assignments.

Any insight on this program at this level?

re: Essentials in Literature/writing

We just completed EIW 9. I could try to answer any questions you might have. I know you made a comment about your older son drawing a blank about writing assignments. We really didn't care for a lot of the topics that were presented in the book, so we would just google 'topics for _____ essay' and then pick from that list.

I’m interested in 9th grade EIL & EIW for my son as well. So I’m eager to read responses :-)

We've used EIW 9 and 10. The level of instruction seems about the same with differing topics. We found our ds liked the topics in EIW 10 better. I can't speak to the 11th and 12th grade levels, as we haven't used them.

Kanda said....We really didn't care for a lot of the topics that were presented in the book, so we would just google 'topics for _____ essay' and then pick from that list
That’s a great tip.

Do you like the dvds and how he presents the material?

Does he teach MLA format with the research paper?

Do you know anything about the literature course?

Thanks!

Momtofive,
I think I’ve read that before somewhere...the reason HOD uses ten instead of 9 in WG? I guess I didn’t really think much of it, but now that you are saying that....hmmm.

ETA Will you continue to use the 11 and 12?

I forgot to ask...
What do you do for literature in conjunction with this course?
I know EIL is very new so maybe not many have looked into it yet.

This post was edited on Feb 01, 2018 08:06 AM

My 9th grader does not particularly enjoy writing, so he did well with how everything was broken up into small parts. Sometimes he would complain that the parts were too small, and that he would rather just get it done :) But he did like it, as much as he can like writing. As for the MLA format, I'm not sure. A friend is currently using the book, so I can't check that out. I also don't know anything about the literature course at this point. I have it on my list of things to possibly use in the future. For us, this course was our first real introduction to all the various types of essays and how to write them. The teacher doesn't spend a lot of time on teaching how to make your writing more interesting and creative, but that is something we've been working on the last few years so it was easy to incorporate that ourselves.

"Momtofive,
I think I’ve read that before somewhere...the reason HOD uses ten instead of 9 in WG? I guess I didn’t really think much of it, but now that you are saying that....hmmm. 

ETA Will you continue to use the 11 and 12?

I forgot to ask...
What do you do for literature in conjunction with this course?
I know EIL is very new so maybe not many have looked into it yet. "

----------------------------------------------------
Yes, you're right. We used it within the scheduled writing of the HOD WG guide for 9th grade. My next ds used the EIW Grade 9 instead, and didn't care for it as much as the topics in the Grade 10 level.
We used the scheduled literature in the HOD high school guides for 9th and 10th grade, though now I'd easily use Lightning Literature, Excellence in Literature, or just pick titles and find online study guides to round them out for high school lit studies. We aren't using EIW Grades 11 or 12, as I feel like my students are capable at that point to write across the curriculum for history and literature, and feel those essays/papers are sufficient.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions