Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Math help please! I am getting desperate!

re: Math help please! I am getting desperate!

I had one fall behind in math with mastery math. He needed spiral math in order to learn efficiently, and he needed spiral to prevent boredom in math lessons. He is strong in math so for catch up I tested him out of one year and one book. I also switched him to Saxon at age 12. For him Saxon was the solution, and he has flown ever since in math. He went from being one year behind to being one year ahead.

I have two others who fell behind due to my math curriculum switches and they did not learn in MUS mastery style. Mastery ended up being a great fit for them, but MUS was a poor fit. They are catching up by doing two lessons a day. They have already completed one grade level this year, and they have started a second grade level. They will have to do one summer. They are 12 and 11. It seems to be age 12 when I realize I want them to catch up! Bob Jones has been a great fit for them. It is mastery with plenty of review.

My youngest is preschool and I’m planning on Bob Jones for her because I enjoy teaching it.

Saxon is solid with a lot of review and spiral teaching. I highly recommend it, and it is so logical in its presentation that my son really likes it.

HTH

We have math troubles over here too....

Lots of great curriculum out there, but personally, MUS has worked the best so far. It's mastery, but it does have review built in via their systematic review pages. I have been tempted by Saxon because every problem can be explained. I do like that about Saxon! We stumble sometimes with MUS word problems, but overall it's been a big help over here! Your mileage may vary.
I would suggest calling MUS and talking with their reps. They are totally nice and helpful. HTH!

fun@home

This post was edited on Jan 31, 2018 11:17 PM

I'd suggest Abeka's 7th grade math book, frankly. It isn't really a matter of spiral versus mastery at this level, anyway. The 7th and 8th grade books (and of course high school level maths) are arranged topically, but like R&S, there is plenty of review. DON'T DON'T have him do every problem. There is purposely plenty in there for review before tests, etc. YOU the teacher can decide how many he NEEDS. You can buy the Solutions Manual that works out each problem in detail. If you have a problem somewhere, you can always call their toll free line and someone can walk you through it. But these books are very straightforward and not difficult at all. They will catch your son up to speed. :) Then give him his summer vacation......except for math. If he does 30-60 minutes a day (depending on what works for him), he'll do fine. Don't worry, don't stress! :) He'll pick up on that and maybe under-perform. You're a confident general marching ahead and this war can be won. :) That's what the men need to know.

We have used CLE math for years and absolutely love it. It is also a spiral program. I have also read on several forums about people using CLE to catch up their 'behind' math students. You can take a placement test and see where they're at. Every grade starts with a review book, the first one of the series. You can skip that book. Then, it's easy to skip quizzes and tests, which is another 3 lessons out of every book. Plus, because there's so much review, it's easy enough to skip 1/2 the problems if you're just trying to catch up. Obviously, you would want to work year round to gain more ground. Also, CLE is quite a bit ahead of some math programs, like TT, so don't feel too bad if you're starting a ways back. My son completed CLE 4, and is now doing TT5 and laughing over how easy it is and he's already halfway through. This is the first year any of my children have used TT, but I think you could get ahead in it as well. At the beginning of grade 5, my son was doing 2 lessons a day with no problem at all because it was so easy. Plus, he'll also skip watching the DVD if it's something he's already learned. That's kind of the beauty of spiral math, that you're constantly working on all types of math problems.

We use TT here (but no book, just the CD’s). It will be available on the internet soon so the lessons can be streamed. The cost will only be $59 for 10 months, so that may be an option for you. It will be so much cheaper for us. My son returned back to homeschooling last year after 7th grade. He’s in pre-Algebra TT this year. He has done very well with it. I prefer the video lessons so if he misses a concept, I can watch it myself and then explain it in a different way for him. The only thing my son dislikes it the constant review of long multiplication. So, to save time he can use a calculator during lessons but no calculator on tests. We are definitely sticking with TT for all off high school.

For my kid who struggles with math, CLE has been great. The teaching in tiny bites keeps her from being overwhelmed and the daily review keeps her from forgetting things. We started just last summer, but her confidence and ability has really grown. She placed a year behind, but I'm skipping the 2 review lessons and the test in each book and she is catching up.

Is there enough explanation in the books to go without the CDS?
-----------------------------------------------
I think there is enough explanation in the book, but there is often more explanation on the CD lesson than in the book. Also, every problem is worked out on the CD, so if a problem is missed, you can watch the solution.

I agree that there is a lot of review of previous material with TT, so it will probably work well for someone needing lots of review. I hope you find the best solution!

I am a huge CLE math fan. I think it can work for just about any child. That being said, I just started a new program with my 12 year old dd who is basically in the same boat as your son. CLE was working, but the slow pace we were going was putting us so far behind I was afraid we'd never catch up. The new program is Learn Math Fast. We are only about 8 lessons in, so I can't say much about it yet, but so far so good. Maybe give it a look? :-)

http://learnmathfastbooks.com/index.html

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions