Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Math help please! I am getting desperate!

Math help please! I am getting desperate!

My oldest, 13, has done mostly mastery math over the years because I thought he needed it. He stuggles a lot with math. There are no known learning problems. It occurred to me today that he may actually do better with spiral. He is behind. I WILL use the word behind because it is true. He is nowhere near ready for pre-algebra. I don't know how to get him caught up. That said, how do you know your child needs mastery or spiral? What are your favorite spiral math programs?

re: Math help please! I am getting desperate!

As far as I know, you don't know what kind of math your child needs until you try the right one and it clicks. At least, that is my experience.

I had my boys all doing a mastery math for years. And then, at the end of 4th grade, after spending WEEKS on long division, my then 10yo son could not do long division at ALL, because it had been a few months since he'd finished that chapter. My other boys had similar problems.

I switched them to TT at that point. I just use the books (no CDs) and it has been awesome. We're on our second year of this switch and it's going really well for all of them. They don't forget math concepts anymore because they are practiced over and over! My 13yo especially has really solidified things that I wish my oldest had before starting algebra.

That's just my experience. I know there are some spiral programs that didn't work for my kids. I had my oldest in Horizons when he was in K and 1st grade, and that was TOO spiral. It didn't spend enough time teaching the new concept, so it was completely forgotten by the time he saw it again. But TT seems to have a good balance for us of new concepts and review.

Don't worry about him being behind. Just put him in the book he places in (do placement tests, whatever math you choose) and keep him moving forward.

I hope that is sort of helpful.

ErinD
That is helpful! I am actually strongly considering TT. Is there enough explanation in the books to go without the CDS?

We use Rod and Staff Math which also has a lot of review.
I definitely agree with doing placement or diagnostic tests, whatever you choose to use.

Sorry... double post.

This post was edited on Feb 01, 2018 03:25 PM

Both of my children have thrived using Math U See. We tried a few spiral programs here and there (Saxon, Teaching Textbooks, Lifepacs, Abeka) but always came back to mastery based Math U See.

I would have your children try several different kinds of curriculum to see which one they click with the most. There are free samples online for many of them.

Young children are often drawn to TT because of the cutesy aspects but that doesn't mean it will be a good fit for them. My daughter wanted TT in 6th grade. It didn't work well for her at all and she eventually begged to go back to MUS. We have stuck with it ever since and are just now finishing up Geometry and getting ready to move into Algebra 2. My son used it through Algebra until I fell prey to the grass is greener syndrome and tried switching to Saxon and TT. Neither worked well and I wish I had simply stuck MUS.

I also wanted to add that none of us are very mathy but we are learning with MUS.

Is there enough explanation in the books to go without the CDS?
---------------------

I *think* that the exact same explanation is in the book as on the CDs. So yes, each lesson begins with lots of explanation. If you are comfortable with elementary/junior high math, then you should be fine. I go without the CDs because I wanted to cut down on cost and time spent on each lesson, plus I'm not really that big a fan of doing math on the computer, especially for younger kids.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions