Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Essentials in Writing....and is there a writing program out there that I could use with a 6th and 4th grader next year?

re: Essentials in Writing....and is there a writing program out there that I could use with a 6th and 4th grader next year?

I feel like they are really learning something...doing language arts instead of just underlining or circling someone else’s work.
"................................................

This!
I’m going to look into these more thoroughly! Thanks for all the insight!
This looks like a good balance for my upcoming 4th and 6th.

re: Essentials in Writing....and is there a writing program out there that I could use with a 6th and 4th grader next year?

Do you think I could get by without purchasing the dvds for these levels in EIW?

sixwaterpots Jan 30, 2018 02:40:PM

Do you think I could get by without purchasing the dvds for these levels in EIW?

My advice is to look at the sample lessons and sample video segment. Is that stuff in the video segment that you personally feel like you are able to teach without the dvd but just from the student pages?

My experience: EIW was kinda new on the market and I got grade 7 (this was first edition stuff here). My middle daughter really did not watch or listen to the lectures on dvd. not her style to listen. I don't know why. I would watch the segments then teach the material. Eventually, I stopped watching the video segments and just taught it. I wasn't gaining some inside cool thing to teach to the kids.
In some families, the child will appreciate seeing the teacher on the video. some families may not click with it.

I appreciated having the dvds for used market participation. :) wink.

This post was edited on Jan 30, 2018 03:17 PM

I’ve been homeschooling for more 15 years and this is the first time I’ve ever been able to feel like that about language arts!!

Yes, you can do it without dvds, but for those unsure about their ability to teach writing....you might want to use them.

15 years...yep! That’s about how long I’ve been at this too. If I’d only had the first couple or three of dc, we’d be about done and I’d never had discovered or realized some of the things I have from the journey of a larger family has taken homeschooling. 😃

Thanks for sharing. I’ve been looking these products over and I think it will help me with what I have been trying to accomplish with these two dc.

I really wish I had found some of the things I use now when my first two were younger!! Lived and learned a lot since then!!!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions