Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Essentials in Writing....and is there a writing program out there that I could use with a 6th and 4th grader next year?

re: Essentials in Writing....and is there a writing program out there that I could use with a 6th and 4th grader next year?

Doing 6th grade book in 4th grade might be a bit much for her???

Really wishing I could find something similar for grades 4-6.

I just double checked this by comparing the table of contents listing of those two levels. They are quite similar. You'd adjust expectations for the 4th grader if it's too much. That's why I think it would work. The topics are similar. 6th grade adds in a little more. Maybe the sample sentences are bigger or something. But take a look at what is covered.

Other programs if you really think you can't do that, well, Writing Strands is "multi age" where you go from one book (well at least level 3 is like that) and adjust expectations for kiddos. mfw just printed a version of writing strands level 3. they call it writing skills for today. It can be used in grades 4-6. It may or may be the topics you want to cover or the style. It is pretty much Writing Strands level 3 with mostly cosmetic changes to the layout of the page. If you did not like writing strands, you will not like this either. same thing. trust me. I was rather disappointed (in mfw's version because I hoped they'd improve it, but didn't. it's just cosmetic changes to the page layout and how the exact same 68 lesson days are numbered ) but other people love writings strands so I mention it to you.

IEW, you could do from one level if SWI.

This post was edited on Jan 29, 2018 08:23 PM

re: Essentials in Writing....and is there a writing program out there that I could use with a 6th and 4th grader next year?

oh, I looked even closer at the samples of grade 6 and 4 of essentials in writing.

I noticed some things that are different in the expectations. When using thesaurus to avoid using simple verbs like "go", the level of words is different. 4th grade had options of "journey" "travel". When 6th grade had "journey" and "depart" as two examples. (there are others, but not listing all ). You can get the idea from that.

4th grade includes unit on writing a news article and that's not in grade 6. so leave it out.
some lessons are in a slightly different order. But take a look at the samples as well. find the sample in both grades and see if you can feel comfortable filling in and adjusting with similar things. :)

I have never liked Writing Strands. 😳

I may just have to wait til I order the 6th grade book and see if I think my 4th grader could do it too. So far, I don’t really see anything else I like.

I really do like the way Essentials in Writing is set up. We did good the first part of year. Took our time with the grammar, but now that we are into writing....seems like we are writing a new paragraph everyday and it’s getting harder to keep up....with them writing different topics.

I almost wrote my own writing curriculum for this year but Essentials was so very close to what I wanted to do so I went with it.

I looked at 4th and 6th. They are actually pretty similar. 4th is different from 3rd which we are doing this year. They have not been that similiar.

I have the same grades as you singing. Do you think you will combine in the 6th or get the 4th and 6th? I’ve not used EIW but recently thought we would try next year. Do you add any other language arts to this?

After looking at samples of 4th and 6th, I might keep them in their grade level. Topics seem to be pretty similar. The 3rd and 5th were different this year.

I really like the way it’s set up!!! I’ll have a better idea of how the writing works at the end of the year. It’s mostly grammar the first half.

I added Queens Language Arts Books, Daily Grams, and Spelling Workout. Might sound like a lot but lessons are short and don’t take very long to do. I honestly think they’ve learned more grammar and done better writing this year with the lighter approach instead of doing page after page of grammar.

Singingranch, I agree that mine have done better with shorter lessons this year. They like the sense of accomplishment that comes with checking off their “lists” and they better know what’s expected of them. I’m just lacking something that gets them writing really. I found the little writing lessons thrown in amongst the many grammar lessons become deer in the headlights moments for us. 😳
Just wondering why Queens and Daily Grams though? What do each bring to the table? I’m familiar with DG, not queens.
Will you stick with the whole combination you mentioned for next year?

ETA...one more thing: I never taken a look at spelling workout. Just took a look at the grade 5 samples. It has writing exercises in the grade 5. Do you do all the exercises in them?

This post was edited on Jan 30, 2018 08:24 AM

Hmmm....I just wanted to try Language Lessons, a more relaxed approach. With everything else I’m using I could probably skip it, but they like it so I might continue using . It only takes 5 minutes most days.

Daily Grams is just a great grammar review every day. I do it with them because there are a few new things introduced that they don’t know yet. Again...only 5 minutes.

I’ve always liked Spelling Workout. My kids love workbooks. Gets the job done. They write words every day. They also write sentences everyday. 3 for my 3rd grader and 5 for my 5th grader. They do the short writing assignment at the end but sometimes we change the topic.

Essentials in Writing is exactly how I would teach writing if I wrote my own curriculum. We didn’t love the DVD’s so we stopped using them. It was hard to fit in watching two dvds , but it’s working without them. Starts with grammar and moves to writing .

Yes, I will probably use all of them next year. It looks like a lot, but it doesn’t take that long to do all of them. They enjoy the short lessons in each book. They are done with all Language books in an hour or less. No tears! They just jump right in and do it.

And like I said earlier....I feel like they are really learning something...doing language arts instead of just underlining or circling someone else’s work.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions