Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Essentials in Writing....and is there a writing program out there that I could use with a 6th and 4th grader next year?

Essentials in Writing....and is there a writing program out there that I could use with a 6th and 4th grader next year?

We are using Essentials in Writing this year, and it’s working pretty good. However, it would be sooooo much easier for me if they were doing the same type writing assignments together. Is there a curriculum out there for multiple ages?

re: Essentials in Writing....and is there a writing program out there that I could use with a 6th and 4th grader next year?

I think there's quite a few writing programs that you could combine your kids in. Here are a few that we have used with different ages.

Excellence in Writing
Wordsmith Apprentice
Writeshop
Write with the Best

re: Essentials in Writing....and is there a writing program out there that I could use with a 6th and 4th grader next year?

Thanks! I’ll check these out. Any other suggestions?

If it were me, since you say the program is working well for you so far, I would probably let them do the same level of Essentials in Writing and expect less of the 4th grader in terms of length, etc.

I was actually about to ask this. I need to finally start a formal writing program with my 5th and 6th graders.
The only thing I have is writing and rhetoric from forever ago, but Im not even sure that's what I need.

If it were me, since you say the program is working well for you so far, I would probably let them do the same level of Essentials in Writing and expect less of the 4th grader in terms of length, etc.

I second that opinion.
If the concern with doing that has something to do with "gaps" in grammar lessons, you can help remind and fill that in for younger. they'll get grammar again and it'll work out.

I had thought about doing that. I do like the way the book teaches writing. However, we have not been watching the DVD’s. I can look at the book and teach it.

If I continue with Essentials in Writing, my 5th grader will move to the 6th grade book. I’m not sure my 3rd grader can handle that big of a jump???? Doing 6th grade book in 4th grade might be a bit much for her???

Really wishing I could find something similar for grades 4-6.

I had thought about doing that. I do like the way the book teaches writing. However, we have not been watching the DVD’s. I can look at the book and teach it.

If I continue with Essentials in Writing, my 5th grader will move to the 6th grade book. I’m not sure my 3rd grader can handle that big of a jump???? Doing 6th grade book in 4th grade might be a bit much for her???

Really wishing I could find something similar for grades 4-6.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions