Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

CLE ?

CLE ?

Anybody use their science? I’m mainly looking for something that’s interesting, but also can be done mostly independently for elementary grades. Grade 5 has samples but I can’t see any for 4th or 6th.
Opinions?

re: CLE ?

Unless they've changed, we found their science very boring. We've found ACE much more to our liking.

Just joining in to second the recommendation to check out ACE for science. We needed to streamline a few subjects this winter, so I switched my younger ones over to ACE for a few subjects, science being one of them. My kids have found each pace very colorful and interesting. I'm seeing them learn so much, and evaluate the material more deeply than I thought they would. Coming from doing lit-based in the past, I worried that it would seem dry or boring to them, but they've really enjoyed it, and it's much easier on mom! ;)

The subjects that we mostly enjoy from CLE are their Sunrise editions. Unfortunately, most of their science has NOT been updated, so it's just recycled AOP Lifepacs, I believe. We did do the grade 2 science a few years ago and enjoyed it, but it's one of the updated Sunrise editions. You can only see samples of their updated Sunrise editons, hence why you won't see grades 4 and 6. If you liked the look of science 5, you could always combine your kids and just use it.

I agree with Ace! Their science is very good!

I did CLE 8th grade Science. It wasn't the greatest, though it was interesting in places. But I'm one who likes to study, so I imagine it would be boring to someone who doesn't like to study or isn't interested in Science.

Agreeing with the other posters; CLE's science is actually their version of the AOP Lifepacs - and actually even worse than them, being two-tone and poorly formatted. (?!) I'd suggest ACE or possibly Abeka, which is set up similarly but all bound in one volume versus 12 separate volumes. Nevertheless, the student can read a section, then answer the section questions. At chapter's end, there's a big review-- the same as what ACE does.

I see what you are saying. The fifth grade is the only one that looks at interesting to me. Thanks for the suggestions. I’m just thinking ahead about the direction to take next year. We have a busy schedule with 6 dc in school. Sometimes it’s easier to combine the younger dc, but we will see. Thanks for the insight you all shared.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions