Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Favorite World Geography Curr??

re: Favorite World Geography Curr??

The geography course is the same teacher as 8th grade we are using this year and yes, she does a great job. My dd likes her.
The $99 offer is only for online, so I assume that’s what kanda uses. We have awful internet so it’s not an option. To me the 8th grade was worth it. It has caught my dd attention and keeps things at a nice pace. I do have a sizable pack of handouts, test, answer key to keep up with but overall it’s doable. I’d think geography would be similar.

Hopefully kanda will chime in, but I thought that info might be a little help in the meantime.

Oops double pos

This post was edited on Jan 23, 2018 10:07 PM

Yes, I love having the teacher teach it. We do the online option. I purchased the books earlier in the season already, and we do the $99 special. Because I'm in Canada, I don't want anything shipped to me from BJU so we also just print off the handout sheets as we need them. If I hadn't signed up for the class, I would probably have had my son just read the textbook and he probably wouldn't get nearly as much out of it. Also, the $99 class saves me from having to buy the expensive TM because I have access to it online to check their work. So the cost practically ends up being the same, only I have the benefit now of freeing up my personal time and having a better geography experience for my son. I'm really discovering as my kids get older that they benefit greatly from having courses taught TO them. You can read in the textbook about different kinds of maps and how they work, but my kids will remember a lot more after the teacher has also explained it. Sometimes she will do the activity pages with the kids, like the map ones with measuring latitude and longitude, so they really understand it. Overall, my son and I are both really enjoying it and he seems to be doing very well with the course (which I'm convinced has to do with the fact that it's being taught to him and he's not just reading the information by himself.) Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for sharing. I appreciate your input. Do you happen to remember when BJU runs the 99.00 special?

Praising Him,
Kim

Not positive but I think it was last week that I got an email saying it was ending the 23rd. I think the timeframe for that deal is over. ☹️
Maybe you could call them or contact a rep and they could work with you?

I know they always have the special just before Christmas. Then they ran it again for a couple of weeks in January. And I believe that last year they also ran the sale in March, but don't quote me on that. I do remember getting emails about it, and thinking I'd never heard of them having a sale at that time of year. I think they'll run the sale once more before summer, so hopefully that will be of some benefit to you :)

This is not a full curriculum, but my scholars and I enjoy the weekly country quiz on the NYTimes Learning Network. Each Monday they feature a different country.

Here's the link for Ethiopia:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/22/learning/22EthiopiaGeographyQuizLN.html

My kids have LOVED Abeka's world geography. It's textbook-based. If you're looking for something that's not textbook-based, the other one I love that I used prior to high school is Trail Guide to World Geography. Superb.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions