Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

IEW--Success Stories?

IEW--Success Stories?

How long did you use it?
Does it cover all areas of writing?
Did you feel it was lacking? (IF you used it for the long haul)

Pam

re: IEW--Success Stories?

I’ve used SWI B and C. Well, my kids have. Yes, I recommend it. Success story? My 14 yo started college last semester at a big state university and got a 95% final grade in ENC 1101, having only really ever done handsonessays and SWI C. Highly recommend.

FWIW writing programs that were integrated into grammar programs were never motivational or effective for us- R&S, Abeka,etc.

Thank you, ilovemychildren.

I hope there are more good endings out there!

Pam

Pam,

couple of thoughts,

1. I remember this post a few months back from faithmom about her college son's success story with IEW. Since I don't know if she's still hanging around on here, thought I'd link to it.
http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/forums/1/thread.aspx?id=131100

2. My oldest struggled with writing and organizing all through high school. I felt inadequate with everything we tried. Like you, I had a list of stuff that I tried to get success. In the end, by the time she got to college as a freshman I had taught her "enough" to be able to earn an A in freshman comp. She knew how to put together at least one paragraph on same topic, able to try to describe things.
She still had to do drafts and edits in college. She had to go to office hours, writing center, and get peer feedback. turned papers in on time (mostly) and took feedback from peers and professor and did the right stuff with the feedback.

Her ACT essay score was not pretty. :) She did not enter that class being at a perfect level writer. But she can write now as a college senior.

Overall, I am confident that we did not cover "all writing" things. I don't even know what that means. I know using Writer's Inc gave us a list of things that are commonly taught in writing.

We practiced a lot of essays with our curriculum assignments. She needed help all the time. With some learning blocks she still struggles on things but works through them. We brainstormed. We edit together. She'd throw fits. then in college, she found out that going to professor for help and peer writing groups helped her a lot.

I taught her if something is supposed to have a format, go look up the format and do it. (such as MLA). what? we didn't have her memorized MLA????? that's right.

anyway, all of that to encourage you to keep on writing. keep editing. Use grammar checkers. Have friends (moms and peers) read and make suggestions about what was good and what needs some help.

cbollin,
What an encouragement! Wintetime-blues!!

"anyway, all of that to encourage you to keep on writing. keep editing. Use grammar checkers. Have friends (moms and peers) read and make suggestions about what was good and what needs some help."

Makes me want to start up our writing club again!!!
Thank you

Pam

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions