Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

What are your 6th, 5th and 2nd graders doing??

What are your 6th, 5th and 2nd graders doing??

We are starting back up with school at some point during the next week, and im questioning if we are doing enough. I've been going through constant drama and i know I need to step up my homeschooling game, but also don't want to overload us right out of the gate. Luckily, we have kept up with math.
So..what is everyone doing?

re: What are your 6th, 5th and 2nd graders doing??

First, I will say that it might be wise not to overload by trying to start everything at once, like you said. So don't worry if you don't get to everything right away. You can keep slowly adding.

Of those ages, I have a 6th grader. This is what he does:

Math - one lesson of TT 4x a week

English - LLATL Tan for grammar and spelling daily, two written narrations and two outlines per week, reading and oral questions from Pathway reader on Fridays

Science - up to now he's just been reading the Apologia Zoology 3 text on his own and writing a narration about an animal once a week, but he's going to do What's That Bird when we resume school next week (3x per week)

History - I read SOTW 3 out loud and look up places on the globe, then on Fridays we add things to our timeline, so pretty low key (3x per week)

Logic Lift-off - twice per week one page

French - this is purely by his choice, one page 3x a week

World geography - once a week, he reads about a continent or country in the Children's Atlas of God's World and then outlines and labels it on outline maps that I've printed

Music - once per week we spend a little time singing hymns as a group, then he also takes piano lessons

Art - once per week sometimes I have a project from Pinterest or sometimes it's various drawing books I've collected - very low key and not terribly structured.

I hope that helps. I tried to be detailed. We probably spend less time than most people.

I really like your lineup Erin. I’m taking notes myself.

I have a 5th grader.
Bible- we read together or listen to thru the Bible sometimes and take notes, memorization of verses
Math-one lesson from CLE a day
English-R&S grade 4 three times a week doing this by picking and choosing assignments. Copywork to emphasize grammar and spelling every day
Science -reading thru açsi book. We did some of science by jay wile over the summer.
History - SOTW level 3 and I use the coloring and map sheets from the activity book. He does simple written narrations for each coloring sheet. Pretty low key
Reading -book from our shelves every day and I try to do a read aloud with dc
Piano - every day
That’s about it for the academic side of things. He does things on our farm and loves being outside with all the animals.

6th grader:
Veritas Press Bible, memory work
Abeka math daily, including drill
Life of Fred 2x per week for enjoyment and out of box thinking
Fix it! Grammar 4x per week
English from the roots up 2-3times per week
IEW student writing intensive continuation course
Phonetic Zoo for spelling
Typing 1-2 times per week
History is Veritas Press self paced
Science is Supercharged Science
Geography Abeka, 2x per week
Reading quality books daily

My 2nd grader:Monday

Veritas Press Bible, memory work
History is Veritas Press self paced
First Language Lessons about 3x per week
Handwriting daily
Rod and Staff spelling
Math U See daily with drill
Read to me daily
Read on his own too.

This post was edited on Jan 02, 2018 11:32 PM

2nd grade:
Bible-veritas bible
Math-teaching textbooks 3 with 2 plus 2 is not 5

Spelling and reading-Rod and Staff
Phonics-ETC book 3
Daily dictation
Handwriting cursive

Read aloud and silent reading 20 minutes or so for each

History-SOTW 1 We have not done well with keeping up with this because my 2nd grader doesn't like it.
Science-Acellus with hands on activities

Art-pinterest, YouTube videos. This doesn't get done nearly as often as we both would like.

Educational games on an almost daily basis.

I have a couple standard things we do this year:
Rod and Staff math
Pentime
Story of the World vol one
Apologia Astronomy
Explode the Code for those who need it

I started with LLATL with everybody, took a side trip with just copywork and dictation, but we are back to LLATL. I am not married to LLATL, but it keeps us moving forward.

We read books, watch movies, etc.

Thank you!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions