Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Five in a Row & Beyond FIAR

Five in a Row & Beyond FIAR

We are starting Five in a Row and Beyond at the first of the year. Has anyone here used these? Did you go to the library a lot for extra books? How did you do vocabulary and a time line? Any other advice you can give me to make the most of it is appreciated. Thanks!

re: Five in a Row & Beyond FIAR

I did FIAR with my oldest when she was kindy/first. She's college age now. some of the materials such as the notebook builder did not exist in my time. the lapbook/fold n learn thing weren't part of it either. I hope you get much more current experiences of how wonderful it was.

let me think?
timeline: I started off just trying it with paper folded together. eventually decided it wasn't worth doing a timeline at that age with this approach.

vocabulary. if/when we encountered a word in context, I explained it. didn't do formal lessons with in.

the "character supplement" was a dud for us. so much of that was tag on and I didn't really like it.

the recipe book was fun addition.

biggest problem? I was a new homeschooler and didn't understand that you really don't have to over do do everything on the social studies day. For the age, that was plenty to read in the manual and close the book. The literature terms/ language arts approach really didn't work either. art appreciate didn't click either. the math was not a math program but ooh..look we can use math. (this did not ruin her at that age). science, I don't even remember the science in there.

so I added, language arts, math, science. and in the end really just used FIAR as a fun and great reading list for that age. The funny thing about that was that is what the local veterans of the day told me they ended up. I was sure that wouldn't happen. ha ha ha.

you asked : Did you go to the library a lot for extra books?

me: trying to remember. I did use the library for the book selections. In spite of having a really good library, we didn't have all of them. The local university had a few in their school of education library and some we just gave up finding. In terms of "lot of extra books"... we checked out other library books just because we did a lot of library programs that had little to do with FIAR. I may have started to get other books to teach social studies but set that down fast if I did.

anyway, filter all of that for memories from nearly 2 decades ago. We enjoyed the books. I learned that doing that style of all lessons in subjects around a book wasn't the approach I wanted to do. Oldest who loved repetition even grew tired of the same book each day and I went to a 3-2 system. Book A for 3 days (m w f) in week 1. Book B for 2 days (t th) in that same week. Then next week, it switched. kept the lessons to 5 minutes past the time it took to read. and just enjoyed the book. I still remember all these years later the story Another Celebrated Dancing Bear. and how we'd have tea and crackers at the end of the story. I'm not sure we learned much about Russia, but hey, she's was only 5 and 6 years old.

anyway, we liked the books in FIAR. Didn't like the style enough to continue or to do it the way the success stories would prefer. But I do have sweet memories of reading together.

I just saw your post when I came on to ask about the same programs! Lol. I am thinking of switching up as we start the new year too. I was looking around for a more literature approach. I think snuggling with a book on the couch appeals more during winter. :-) I thought it would be a rich, but more simple program than, for example, Sonlight. Which I've used and liked in the past but wasn't looking to do that much right now.
I have 4 kids but am thinking of using it with the two youngest - ds10 and dd7 (grades 4 & 2). I was going to try Beyond with both of them but when I poked around on their website I saw people use FIAR and Beyond at the same time too. I posted on the FIAR forum and they suggested using FIAR Vol 1-3, then Vol 4 next year, then Beyond. I don't own any of the manuals yet so that makes a difference for me too.
What ages are your children?

For me, it taught me confidence in reading good books with small children and trusting that it is enough. I did go through a time of knocking myself out trying to enrich the experience (as so many other moms seemed to be doing.) Alas, you really don't need to.

After learning the method of seeing things to point out in picture books as you read, you can pretty much do it with any picture book.

The manuals were worth that to me. They taught me how to teach. These days I wouldn't find them as useful as I did when I was new at homeschooling.

We have happy memories of putting the story disks on the map with our stories. I haven't done that in a while. Should get back to it again.

We used FIAR when my kids were little. We loved it! We own all of the books, but you certainly don’t need too - a weekly trip to the library will work perfectly. We always used lapbooks alongside FIAR; we specifically enjoyed homeschoolshare.com

This post was edited on Dec 31, 2017 02:26 PM

Loved FIAR, but I will say this one thing about it - a while back when discussing curriculum with my now college kid, she mentioned “that program where you had to read the book every day for a week”, and I told her I remembered it - and she acknowledged how much she hated hearing the same thing every day. That it was boring. She admitted she loved the books but the repetition and its accompanying boredom stuck with her after all this time.

All that to say, feel free not to read the books every day if you sense your kiddo is tiring of the story. Maybe every other day?

Or perhaps my kid is crazy and yours will love it.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions