Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Online High School

Online High School

Has anyone used a Christian on-line high school? We are in NC and it's been very difficult to get any help on answering questions about transcripts, dual-enrollment, class choices, honors classes, ACT or SAT?, classes taken in 8th grade, etc. I just don't want to mess anything up and I was thinking that having an on-line high school with a guidance counselor would be so helpful. Or should I just pay the $ to HSLDA and join to ask them?

re: Online High School

Well, I guess in some ways I'm using a christian online high school. Well sorta. I'm in TN. To homeschool we either register with local district, or with a "church related school" (also casually called cover schools, or umbrella schools) that permit off campus instruction in home by parents. It's a legal term here.

We use Home Life Academy. If you used them in NC, you'd still have to do the legal things you do in NC as if you were on your own. But they'd have all of that graduation requirements, and counseling, etc. It may or may not have any impact on state scholarships to state schools. I'm not that knowledgeable for NC rules.

links in a moment....

Or you could use the free to non members sections of hslda's high school website. Or join them and use the same stuff. They have lots of free to non members sections of high school to look at. and then for things like transcript templates and gpa calculators, there's always google search.

links for you
https://www.hslda.org/highschool/

and HomeLIfe has stuff that you can preview on the screen without enrollment
http://www.homelifeacademy.com/academics/high-school/

Of course you can ask some general stuff on here or in the high school subforum for experiences. We may or may not have someone in NC with specifics for dual enrollment grants at state schools. But in general, there are ideas and experiences with all of that.

For example, you might look at homelife's section on 8th graders who take high school class. in brief, it boils down to:
Early credit should be limited to the following areas of study: Math (algebra 1 or above), Science, World History, and/or Foreign Language.

The question becomes what will a college admissions look for. If you take alg 1 in 8th, will you still need 4 more math courses above that level? that kinda of thing.

But technically, from legal thinking, my children were enrolled in a private, christian online school in order to be legally and culturally homeschooling in our state. :) If I lived in a state that didn't have "cover schools" as a legal option, I probably wouldn't have sought them out but gone with free stuff on hslda as a guide.

What kind of info would you like to know about SAT and ACT?

and although I should wait and bump this after any s. bots flood the screen....

This website might have some basic helpful info for NC homeschool high school
http://www.nche.com/high-school
and there's a section with sample transcripts and all of that and basic hints on PSAT registration in 10th or 11th grade. 11th grade of course is the year used for national merit scholarship entry. but you can take it before that.

you register directly with ACT for ACT. and register directly with College Board for SAT, or CLEP.

AP exam: not in my wheel house. but that is not direct registration. have to find a local public or private school willing to help you. start early in the school year. Those are only offered once a year in the month of May, but ordering is months before that.

and other link to some basics for planning comes from the mfw website
https://www.mfwbooks.com/downloads/pdfs/HS_Planning_Guide.pdf

No matter what else you do, yes, it would be a good idea to join HSLDA. :-)

As it's more common for people to *not* homeschool through high school, it can be difficult to ask these questions from local homeschoolers. (DNPE will not know the answers, as none of your questions have to do with homeschool/private school laws or requirements).

HSLDA can answer your questions, I'm sure. Also, the Well Trained Mind forum has a healthy high school sub-forum, with members who are *so* knowledgeable about that stuff.

Thank you for your replies, I'll look into them. :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions