Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

More science talk...and spam duty

More science talk...and spam duty

So, I stress and obsess over something until I get it figured out. NOT one of my better character traits. :)

In my search for all things high school science, I have come up blank. Talk about complete and true boredom.

Anyway, that was my last post. I got to thinking, is there anyway to make jr. high level science good for high school? Is there a way we could beef up Answers in Genesis God's Design series or the Jay Wile series that starts with Science in the Beginning? Or the younger Apologia series for that matter? I am not a fan of Apologia, but I think the younger books would be better than the older. Or, do one of these in conjunction with a high school level Queen Homeschool science?

I really thought I had it knocked out with Master Books. We tried one this year and it was like torture. We are doing Ace now and it is going well. Not sure about it for high school though.

I know I have time, but...

This post was edited on Dec 22, 2017 01:14 PM

re: More science talk...and spam duty

no, you have no time. you have to decide now. giggle. I'm messing with ya friend. fist bump have some fun.

uhm... well in terms of AiG series, I think it would be a lot of extra work to add to it for high school material for the vast majority of students and homeschool moms. Can it be done? well, if you have a student and teacher who will go get videos, labs, and add missing content that probably maybe should be in high school. maybe. I'm not that good of a homeschooling organizer. Those books really are in mind for grades 3-5 with a few extension readings for jr. high. kwim?

Can it be done for a kiddo like my youngest (lower than average IQ, significant impairments in learning/language etc)? well, truth is, I thought I would/could maybe do that since she's a "remedial' student when working at capacity. But she had done that level of material and content and I knew it just felt "wrong" for World of Animals and the other Aig life sciences to be her high school stuff. by wrong? I mean it felt to me not being honest. In the end, I used a lot of videos labeled as "jr. high to high school" (from discovery education streaming bought with homeschool buyer coop discount) and watched them as we went through similar topics from apologia text/table of contents, along with 101 dvd. and modifiying how we used the apologia text with journal (since I had those already)

ok. I'm just rambling. but we didn't click with master books either. oh I wanted to like those. and I did use a blend of "jr high" and high school stuff with a child who was working hard at her learning capacity.

of course, you could listen to derf about friendly biology.

and you know what? I think high school science stuff was more fun than the stuff at jr. high level. maybe it'll get better.

Just curious, blessedlife3, which MB course were you using this year?

I have no other suggestions, unfortunately. Science decisions are hard.

ErinD
Caves and Fossils

I am doing Chemistry from Guest Hollow this year with my 10th grader. He is dyslexic so a huge textbook is a nightmare. For $25 you get a pdf download with the entire schedule. The schedule includes readings from various books (there are a few we use consistently), links to YouTube videos (explainations, lectures, demonstrations), and cooking experiments. You pick and choose. The course teaches chemistry through cooking. His only complaint is that he wanted some worksheets to reinforce the topics. He also signed up for a TedEd acct. so he could keep track of those lectures he’s watched and they give a little quiz after so it could be reinforced. I also ended up buying one of the AiG chemistry books so we could have some easier reading material and worksheets. It’s the only place I could think of to get worksheets. He used the AiG books in jr. high and we really liked them. I’m always looking for “different” types of clssses for this son, so I know how you feel. Hope this helps!

Thanks.

I do think you could do Apologia Anatomy or the Physics/Chem book for Grade 9. I think those are the harder ones. I also think you could make AIG work for Grade 9, because they go up to Grade 8 so it's only a year out, but for beyond that, I would go with easier high school courses.

Friendly Chemistry and Biology look like good choices and so do Guest Hollow's courses. I'm going to be trying out Mr. Q Advanced Chem next year and Conceptual Physics the year after that but I can't really review them yet. There's also a Conceptual Chemistry. If you are using ACE now and it's going well, ACE biology gets good reviews here. Maybe just keep going with that for another year and delay the decision. :)

I hear you about the blahness of high school science. My daughter, who is not particularly thrilled to have to science at all, will be doing chemistry from Sabbath Mood.

http://sabbathmoodhomeschool.com/living-science-curriculum/form-4-6-science-curriculum-gr-9-12/

She is doing Apologia Biology this year, but looking ahead to math heavy chemistry and physics I feel that she would lose all interest in science. Her biggest complaint about biology is all the terminology; she would like to learn the concepts without being beaten over the head with rigorous vocabulary.

I also have the chemistry schedule from Guest Hollow, but feel like it is too much of a "buffet", we want more a straightforward curriculum.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions