Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Science textbooks are SO boring!!!

re: Science textbooks are SO boring!!!

Candice

I used 4th edition of FC. There may have been a few typos of the mild kind of variety that all publisher have (you know.. where answer key had a wrong number on a problem).

I don't really remember major things jumping out at 4th edition. hmm.. it would be interesting to see a list of what a review says is errata and which edition. It's possible that first or second ed did have stuff poorly stated. I don't know.

Marne: keep that up and I'll have to get Friendly Biology just for me. LOL. it came out just after I was done with looking at down to the teaching of biology for youngest (did blend of selected stuff from apologia, mixed with 101dvd, mixed with videos from discovering education streaming. all b/c it was in the house. and maybe some "elementary" stuff to do something. talk about a kiddo who didn't wanna.

Thanks, CB : )

I agree....errors are not an issue as they all seem to have them. Take in case I had picked up DR Wile's new Chem book...and yes Dr Wiles new chem book is really an improvement over the 3rd Apologia Chem book and even the 2nd edition...but it did have nearly 3 pages of errors mixed in book and the teacher part. Errors are just part of the process of writing books I think.

I also would not fear either Friendly Biology or Chemistry being not rigorous enough either as some have claimed. Both are explained very well and cover everything needed to prepare your student to take college level chem and or biology without going over board.

I really question the difficulty of so much of our homeschool material...and even the need for kids to be doing college work in highschool....such as AP tests ect. ...are they missing out on life and being kids by so much studying??

I know for some it is their goal...but how much are they missing out on? Marne

Thank you, derf : )

regarding Friendly Chemistry: I still would recommend that a student who is planning on majoring in chemistry take a second course with more math in the chemistry before college. That's kinda what a 4th science credit can be all about, right? taking the advanced class if interested.
But for those who don't need chemistry for science (or engineering) majors, it's plenty as a high school course.

I understand the duffy review that say if one is wanting to do an intro course while student is in jr. high (in order to be ready to do an AP course for example while in high school), then FC could be used then.
But that is not the same meaning as this is a jr. high course. She doesn't say that. Two different things. And that does not mean FC won't help someone be ready for a gen ed chem for non majors in college.

in any case, we liked FC. :) and I'm just rambling again.

Supercharged Science is online and definitely NOT boring. She offers lots of free classes and you can try it free for awhile to make sure you like it. If you want, I can post a link to a free class, let me know what topics your child likes.

We switched to it because I have a robotics guy, and she offered so many classes covering that, plus space and flight, and so many things he enjoyed.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions