Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Science textbooks are SO boring!!!

Science textbooks are SO boring!!!

In planning for high school I am hung up on science. Why oh why are science textbooks so boring and what on earth can we use instead that will supply four years of science and still prepare them well for college?

The struggle is real!

re: Science textbooks are SO boring!!!

Textbooks written for high school students are generally terrible. Poorly written, with unnecessary sidebars, distracting graphics, etc.

Textbooks written for introductory college classes are generally better. Add in some documentaries, "real books", discussions, and labs, and high school science can be pretty interesting!

We've been pleased with Abeka Biology. It's colorful, easy reading, and gets the job done.

Abeka has been a happy science choice for us here. My kids retain the material and even read more on their own, their choice.

I agree. We used MFW until the 6th grade. We liked the program and my children developed a love for learning in general. We varied from their suggestions for 7th and 8th. I haven't found anything high school materials that I really liked or my children really liked. I guess for us science is one of those just "get it done" subjects.

One exception for us is that we require our scholars to become licensed amateur radio operators. That's a practical science course that they enjoy. That's a 7th or 8th grade class 1 semester class for us.

The other exception is my 10th grader is currently taking a NASA class that is offered for students in our state. It's an online class and then the best students also get to attend a week long summer camp at a NASA facility. It will be listed as "Aerospace Science" on his transcript, but will be an elective as he is also completing Environmental Science this year.

My triple STEM major oldest likes science textbooks. yes, she's a nerd and she owns it. She didn't like apologia in jr. high though, well sorta did and sorta didn't.

Middle gal liked apologia. She's way too easy going.

youngest: blah for almost all things science unless it's food and kitchen based, and maybe a trip to the nature center to look at fish while avoiding the geese.

to each her own I guess -- even within the same family. LOL

(((hugs)) to blessedlife. Your child is grade 7. You have time for this. You don't have to buy it all now. You can pick different stuff for each subject too. And maybe a thread should be around for what exactly should a student go through to be "college ready". anything to knock the spam lower, right?

As a former Biology major...nope, I find them very interesting. I REALLY like Apologia Biology...but as it is way too technical for my student's interest and need, I switched him to Friendly Biology.

THAT is also very good reading but a perfect level for my student. I am enjoying reading that also. SOOO I am getting to read TWO biology books this year... YEA!

I highly recommend Friendly Biology if Apologia is not working for anybody...... I was trying to adapt the Apologia book BUT when I learned about Friendly Biology ( new this spring I learned but didn't hear about it till later this fall) I could see it was a much better fit for my student ( and actually more like what i had in highschool many moons ago) so I felt no need to reinvent the wheel so to say and am very pleased with it.

I actually try to read all my students books including the text books and IF they are really boring.....or not going to fit their level of need...either too easy or too hard...I try to find something else ( if it bores me...more than likely it would bore my student also) or adapt what i have if nothing else is affordable or available that WILL work without major changes.

Marne

I'm curious about Friendly Biology/Chemistry...
It looks good, but I read a few reviews about it being full of errors as far as editing goes. I always wonder if the reviewers are exaggerating a bit? Maybe there are a few typos, like most curriculum, but the reviewers are making it seem like more because they just didn't gel with the program?

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions