Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Master Books and Queen Homeschool for high school science

Master Books and Queen Homeschool for high school science

Has anyone here used Master Books and/or Queen Homeschool for high school science? If so, how in depth are they? Are they good enough if the student plans on going to college? Could we use a combination of the two?

ETA, looking at both the Exploring series and Wonders of Creation series from Master Books.

This post was edited on Dec 20, 2017 09:12 AM

re: Master Books and Queen Homeschool for high school science

My son is using Survey of Astronomy right now.

I'm not sure I can answer your question, though. I think they would be good enough for college if you get one labelled for Grades 10-12. Most of the courses are basically read and do worksheets. The worksheets vary by course - some have critical thinking questions and activities, but others are just true and false. Also, there are no labs, except for some suggestions at the beginning of the lesson plans that you would have to schedule in yourself. Also, sometimes it seems like the books read are very technical and not easy reading, and then the worksheet afterwards is pretty basic, but that probably depends on the book (this may apply to our astronomy books but I don't think it would apply to the Wonders of Creation or Tiner books - those are easier to read and very interesting).

I would look at each course (they have good samples at the Master Books website) to see what the worksheets are like. If you don't need lab courses, I think they're a good option.

"going to college"

Sometimes college prep is all about doing college work while in high school or at least getting the training exercises toward that.

but...
Sometimes, it's about getting a student interested in a topic in high school so that when they get to college they are self motivated to learn the material.

with that said (and with goal of knocking spam posts down the forum...).

uh... well. We didn't think master book series provided either "interest generating" with Wonders of Creation, and erin's post is right about the work level expectations. On the plus side with that for MB, is that they have a checklist do this, do that approach with the packages. So the student can work more independently and stay on syllabus. That's good practice for college.

I really wanted to like Wonders of creation series. but didn't. your other post about boring.. oh. that was how we felt with those books. I really wanted to like them too. The astronomy we used was so preachy about disproving old universe that we didn't follow half of it. also, I was so annoyed with the typos. some of them should have been caught such as listed jupiter as an inner planet. seriously? sorry. maybe that one is the grade 7-9 book. but still.

My 10th grader is using 2 of the master books sets for a biology/life science credit. We are using Intro to Oceonography/Ecology and the Exploring the History of Medicine and Biology sets. He is enjoying the second set much more than he did the first. I think it's enough if you have a child who is not going into a science field. My son is career/technical path and I think it's plenty for him. He is learning a lot and the PLP workbooks are great. Basic , not a lot of variety , but get the job done and make studying for the tests very easy.

We didn't connect with the Oceanology or Ecology either. I dropped the ecology one. I think we learned enough ecology with visits to the nature center and field trip to the city farm with solar panel thingy, and trip to the river, and that stuff. and besides we were doing a build our own earth science semester.

and the Oceanology one got heavily subbed because local museum had some touring exhibit called journey to the ocean (?). so we learned about the same amount of info in that exhibit along with the 3D ocean movie at the museum as was in the text. We had membership so we went a few times. called it enough for the Oceans unit in our semester long build an earth science unit. Then did fun stuff like earthquakes, and looked at fossils, and the mineral exhibits. Found a public school's science teacher's website with links to labs for earth science.

agreeing there's good value in the PLP's. lessons are there, follow the syllabus. that's good for completing book on time. and those PLP were one of the main selling feature for me to try the books with youngest. I wanted her to check it off and all of that. (and she's not traditional college bound directly out of high school if ever. reality of her brain and disabilities)

And the worksheets are written way to narrate stuff and check you caught main points. But it wasn't much different from a worktext curriculum style --- read, and copy the answer from text. study those for quiz. plenty to check it and get done. And that is exactly what she needed: have a question to find answer, can you locate the paragraph and sentence with the answer. That fit our goals for her with language across the curriculum.

I don't know how it looks in typical development. just wanting to share how it looked in my family with youngest. everyone has differing needs. And even when the books weren't "great and all of that", we still used the stuff for our goals and course. MB wasn't something we stuck with for all 3 of her sciences. but it helped get us through a little here and little there in grade 9 "light" survey of science.

sometimes it's the book that leads, and sometimes it's the book that supplements with topics to "go learn things".

I really think it depends on the set. Some are great, some aren't so much. We've used the Medicine & Biology one and while the books were great, the worksheets were way too basic. I also own the Meteorology & Astronomy one and that one looks great - more in depth questions and activities/projects - but none of my kids have used it yet.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions