Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

College Prep Genius?

College Prep Genius?

Hi, I'm thinking of purchasing College Prep Genius for my 9th grader. Has anyone used this? I can't find any unbiased reviews (where the user hasn't received the item free). If so, is it worth it?

re: College Prep Genius?

The author spoke at a local convention when my oldest was high school age. I thought, ok.. let's try this test prep product. Author said similar techniques could be used for ACT over SAT. We're in "ACT" territory where very few take SAT.

It should be noted that when I bought it, it was the SAT version before 2015 changes. However, I think the general content is similar enough to at least give a little info with my review. My memory is fuzzy on the product so review is limited info. and yes, I paid out of pocket. no freebies or other stuff like that.

The "vocab" books - I remember thinking, what??? I think her children wrote them when they were teens or something so she was ultra sensitive to any questions about them. I was not impressed with that component of the program.

The general tutoring on the other hand was information my student needed to learn from someone other than me. I could easily have shared and taught it from other prep books, but still. you know.

The cost of the basic/fundamental version of product at the time was comparable to what the local co-op ladies were charging for 4 week in person ACT prep class. I remember thinking at the time it's a shame I didn't find 3 others to share the cost and watch it together with our kiddos. In that sense, although I understand the pricing structure of the video series, it seemed over priced in our specific area compared to a live class with a live teacher. But if you don't have any of that in your area, maybe price is ok. It's certainly better than the big tutoring companies that do this stuff.

in the end however, because we were doing ACT, we had to get ACT practice books. Princeton Review book had similar test taking tips as the CPG did. I don't really remember why middle child didn't use the CPG. probably should have if it was still in the house.

I remember the main part of the program was learning about the various test questions and lots of strategies for the test itself.

if you decide to get it, find someone to share cost and make sure you get the current edition because the SAT was redesigned in 2015. I'm looking at the packages, and think the lowest priced one is all that is needed. Oh, if you want the 15 secrets books, check your "smart points" over at homeschool buyers co op. 1000 of those points and you can get the book.

I'm sure other people have negative experience with it and didn't like it. I think most of the program was about strategies to approach the various types of questions.

Bumping this topic because spam at top of page.

I would try the Khan Academy free test prep materials before purchasing something.

Also check with your local library. Mine offers Learning Express which includes SAT test prep materials.

oh yeah, learning express. our library has that too. stuff on there for SAT/ACT, some CLEP, and even that workkeys stuff we talked about a while back on high school side. well, maybe that varies by library.

Much of the test taking tips in CPG are same kinds of things you'd find in the SAT prep books that your library might have for check out.

Thanks so much for the replies. I didn't realize that Khan Academy had test prep and I didn't think the library had that kind of prep material, but I just learned they do!

glad it was helpful. :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions