Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Apologia Astronomy or Science in the Beginning?

Apologia Astronomy or Science in the Beginning?

I am needing a new science for my 1st and 2nd grader. I am considering either Apologia Astronomy or Science in the Beginning. I am worried about both of these possibly being too wordy, and dry. I also am not alway great at activities, so I'm not sure how Science in the Beginning would go. Im sure my kids would love them though, so maybe I could force myself for their sake. Which science program do you recommend?

re: Apologia Astronomy or Science in the Beginning?

Of the two, I only have experience with Science in the Beginning, but I would say that I would not use it for ages that young unless they are tagging along with older siblings (or they are very interested in science). When we did it, I had a 1st grader, and it all went over his head. I personally think it is better for middle to upper elementary ages. Also, there is an experiment at the beginning of every lesson, and often the rest of the lesson depends on the experiment, so you can't really skip them. So I would take that into consideration when deciding.

ETA: I will say that the experiments in SITB are pretty easy and don't take terribly long, so it's really not a burden to do them.

This post was edited on Nov 17, 2017 02:53 PM

We have done both. For kids that young, I would definitely recommend Apologia. The astronomy book is the shortest book in the series, so you could read quite small sections at a time. The Science in the Beginning book would be way over their heads.

Thank you both! I kind of had a feeling SITB would be too much for them.

I am reading the apologia astronomy one right now. My 3rd and 5th grader get a lot out of it. My 6 year old, no.

Bump

I have both and honestly think either would be too much for that age imo. If you had an older elementary child and the younger ones were listening in, that's a different story, but I would just wait and pick one of those options in a year or two.

If I HAD to pick one, I'd choose Apologia. I'm finding I much prefer it over Science in the Beginning. Many love Science in the Beginning, because it has a hands on activity every lesson. I did NOT enjoy it...because it has a hands on activity EVERY lesson. I just want to read it. Then I let them draw their notebooking pages and do the activity when we feel like it (Ie when the kids REALLY REALLY want to).

just bumping stuff due to over s pam post.

I have an older apologia astronomy. My youngest liked the section called Walking on the Moon. Oh, not b/c of the book. But because of the Wiggles song by same name. She likes the Wiggles (original of course) and would keep that apologia book open to the page.
got to love some aspects of autism, right?

We liked SITB because it was
intro the topic briefly
do a quick demo
read more on the topic
notebook for the day.

I remember having fun with the stuff.

The astronomy book. hmmm.. did it within the context of mfw's rtr year. don't remember enough. that was a long time ago. in a city far away. but I remember getting a telescope that year and we looked at the rings of saturn from our front yard.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions