Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Who else was doing BF Ancient with their high schooler this year?

Who else was doing BF Ancient with their high schooler this year?

I remember someone else was doing this with their child this year, and they were a couple of weeks ahead of us. I can't remember which one of you it was, and now I can't find the right thread.

I had just wanted to check in and see how it was going for you, and how you were liking it. We finished the Egypt section, and have begun Ancient Greece. I believe we are in lesson 29. My daughter wrote her research paper on Queen Hatshepsut.

This course is definitely our most time consuming this year, but it's 2 credits, and very in depth. At the rate we are going, I don't see how we will possibly complete all 90 lessons by the end of the year, although since starting Greece we are moving WAY faster. Dd14 already knows much of the material, and often stops me as I'm assigning her work to go off on tangents about this or that pertaining to Greek History. I asked her if she would just like to be the teacher? Lol. I also scrapped, "The Greek Way", because frankly, it was one of the most boring and overly wordy books I've ever read. If *I* can't stand it, I'm not making my 14 year old suffer through that. :)

So I was just interested in hearing how the other BF Ancient family was doing, but as I said, I can't for the life of me remember who you were. >blush<

re: Who else was doing BF Ancient with their high schooler this year?

It was me ;) I pop in about once a month or every few months.

Well my thoughts are, I'm not sure yet. We are very behind because I wanted to take longer with some of the mythology because we found it so humours. I also made my oldest read The Odyssey. She did not like it, but I figured after we read the Children's Homer, she should be able to tackle it. So while she read that, the middle schooler read all of the D'auliares greek book.
We are writing essay papers this week and hopefully next week we will start the Romans.
No, we ditched The Greek Way. I can't remember what I let both kids read but it was the one for the middle schoolers. I hate, hate, hate streams of civilization, so we ditched that. The novels are fine choices, but I hate the spines. So I use a little of Truthquests recommendations and I also rely on ducksters history. It is free and online. Not very meaty, but it gets the job done.
I seem to be one of those who doesn't like any curriculum altogether. I take a little here that I like and combine it with something else. I do hope they like the Romans better. I haven't looked over it, but hope it includes Bible history with it.

And I see I have spelling mistakes. Please forgive them. I have no idea how to go in a edit.
Sharee spicer

To edit a post, be sure you are logged in then look to the right of your name at the top of the post you wish to edit. Click "edit" and it will open the post so you can make changes (be sure to save!!).

This post was edited on Nov 30, 2017 05:38 PM

Thanks for answering, sharee! I'm not thrilled with, "Streams of Civilization", either, but I use it as a spine, and do it as a read aloud/lecture type of thing. They go into far too much nonsense detail about a lot that I just skim briefly over, and things that spark interest, we delve further into. Thankfully, the majority of the year is spent on other books.

Glad to hear you are doing well with it. Overall, I like BF approach, books, and workload. I wish they had a middle ages course for high school too. I may use their middle school middle ages course next year and just add to it.

Bump

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions