Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

MUS help

MUS help

My son just started MUS Algebra 1. We have used CLE math for the last several years, and he has done very well with it. He always scored very high on quizzes and tests, and learned new material quickly. But he is not doing well with MUS at all. I know it's a different approach, but I kind of thought Algebra was Algebra. I'm not really sure what to do now. He will watch the DVD, and claim he has no idea what Steve is talking about. I'm not really much of a help, since math isn't my strong point. Is it the program, or does he just need more help with math? Keep in mind, this is a very intelligent child who has never struggled with math, ever. He pretty much taught himself the lessons from CLE, and only ever asked me to help him once in a blue moon.

re: MUS help

The neighbor kinds are helping my DD. Its way over my head. DH corrects it.

1st of all...do take the readiness test for Algebra...if there are any gaps it will show where he needs to get things straight. remember, they all have different scopes and sequences...teaching at different timing, different things.Doesn't make one better or worse than the other BUT you must take that into account when going from one program to another.

Also MUS as wonderful hlep...so IF you hit a problem that your not sure what to do...call them. This is a MASTERY program...do not go on till he can demonstrate complete mastery of each lesson.

We have hit a wall...so we are going back to where the problem seems to have started and do it again. We have had to do this twice before but he eventually will get it. You need to let their brains catch up with the new material sometimes. Marne

They are very different approaches. If your son did well with teaching himself CLE, I would go back to using that method either with CLE's new algebra or another math which uses a spiral approach. Some do very well with self-teaching Saxon, and there are a variety of instructional DVDs available if that becomes necessary. Be sure to give a placement test whenever you switch maths.

If this same case scenario were taking place during the primary years, I would recommend sticking with CLE. However, many, many students get bogged down in Algebra, regardless of the curriculum.

I had my son do Algebra on his own. He hated it and struggled quite a bit. Now I sit down and do Algebra along side my daughter and she has done much, much better. I really think most students need a teacher for algebra. I never even took Algebra in school but I have learned it right along with my daughter and we used Math U See.

My ds who is normally pretty bright in math, still struggled with MUS Algebra 1. It just took him time to grasp; he even went back through the book a second time in the summer before Algebra 2.

The second time around the concepts were understood, and stuck. He went on to do the rest of the MUS math sequence clear through Calculus, on his own.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions