Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Has anyone tried Using Language Well with Spelling Wisdom?

Has anyone tried Using Language Well with Spelling Wisdom?

I'm not completely satisfied with my 4th and 5th graders' LA this year. It's always about the language arts!!! We used CLE for a few years, and this year we have R&S. Before picking that I had considered Simply Charlotte Mason's recommendations, but didn't know if it's "enough".

Has anyone actually used the new Using Language Well books along with Spelling Wisdom?

I'm not sure if we'll switch, but I'm tempted to do something else. I don't have time right now to go into the reasons, but just wanted to know about ULW/SW.

Thanks!

This post was edited on Sep 29, 2017 07:09 AM

re: Has anyone tried Using Language Well with Spelling Wisdom?

I wanted to try Spelling Wisdom, but after the first book, the passages are so long that it would take a long time to get through those dictations. But I may be missing some information regarding the program, so don't quote me on that. It just turned me off from it. We also come from a background of CLE and Rod and Staff, and this year I finally decided I have had enough. I bought MFW's Language Lessons for Today for all the kids. We will start next week, so I also can't give you any info on it yet. But I'm thinking it will be a breath of fresh air for all of us.

I use Spelling Wisdom. I was looking at Using Language Well. I dunno. I like the idea of it....but then wonder why I need it if I point out the grammatical aspects of the passages myself. Kwim?

Like the above poster, I am rethinking using MFW Language Lessons for Today in the (near) future.

We are using LLATL (Yellow, Orange, Tan) right now. I have no real complaint with it. My decision will come after we finish what we have.

i have!
because this is a multi-year LA program, my 7th and 4th graders have used it.
at first, my 7th grader was intimidated by the longer dictation passages but he realized, since he was using it for daily copywork, his writing speed increased.
we dropped using language well because, for us, it is TOO gentle. this book is good if you don't mind the gentle, two year approach to language arts, but i need something more than this. and, there's not enough of an explanation or rules of the "points" covered for me to teach my children about parts of speech.
i strongly recommend downloading a sample of spelling wisdom and using language well before investing in them!!
i, also, have been looking into the mfw using language well for today books for my younger students.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions