Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

To occupy a 4yo...

To occupy a 4yo...

I will have 4 in school this fall, plus a 4yo girl. She is generally really good about playing by herself during school, but I would like to find her something special to play with as a first-day-of-school gift so that she has something new and fun to occupy herself with, especially during the first few days when I'll be extra busy going over how all the new stuff works with my older boys. It needs to be something she can do by herself.

Any ideas? She plays with just about anything and anything *new* will be exciting, no matter what it is.

re: To occupy a 4yo...

How about Scrabble Jr?

(Lite bright, mazes, dot to dots, special art supplies...?)

I have gotten some nice ideas from Timberdoodle.com.

Good ideas so far. I'm starting to think about those magnetic dress up things. She really likes clothes and fashion.

One of my 4yearolds insisted on doing school with us. She did Math U See and Explode The Code. It worked for her. She said that other books were baby books and she wasn't a baby. She would cry if I wouldn't let her do school.

My other kids played with Play-doh and other things that developed fine motor skills, math skills and reading skills.

When my kids were little I made a felt board and pieces for them. It was really easy, and they had a lot of fun with it.

I just took a large, thick foam poster board, stretched a piece of felt over it, and secured it in the back.

Then I bought a variety of different colored felt pieces and cut out various items for them to use on the board. I stored them in a plastic shoe box.

Some ideas are:

tree tops (green ones, and orange ones for fall)
tree trunks
flowers
sun
moon
mountain
clouds
rain drops
snow man pieces
various size squares/ triangles to make houses and buildings
barn shape
simple people
sailboat
cars and buses (with separate black circles for tires)
fish
pine trees
butterflies
fence
blue circle for pond
green strip for grass
white strip for snow
brown strip for dirt
fruits (put them in a felt bowl shape)
vegetables (they can "plant them in the dirt"

I just noticed you mentioned she likes fashion, You could also easily include a body shape for the felt board, and cut out different colored shirts, pants, skirts, hats, shoes, dresses...

The pieces don't have to be too detailed, just the basic shape and they still have so much creative play.

That's a really cute idea! I might use that one at some point with her. Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions