Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: re: re: re: CLE Language Arts and TESOL with a question for cbollin on page 5

re: re: re: re: re: CLE Language Arts and TESOL with a question for cbollin on page 5

not a clue on the skype question.

and wow. it was just about 3 weeks ago that abeka's program was still open and running. oh well. oops.

re: re: re: re: re: CLE Language Arts and TESOL with a question for cbollin on page 5

Bump

re: re: re: re: re: CLE Language Arts and TESOL Update on page 7

Update: The books got here, and we got started in November. I drove down and spent a week with the family, introducing them to CLE Learning to Read. They LOVED (and still do) the books and would sit around the table for hours doing it with me. I would finally be exhausted, but they would plead, "Please, please, don't stop!" For the dad (who is also using LTR) it's been the most difficult, which is understandable. Though he has a fair beginner's knowledge of English, he is having a hard time with pronunciation, especially the short vowel sounds. All of them have difficulties with one or more sounds, but he has the most. BUT he's making progress!

As far as the program itself, I like it, though it wears me out a bit using it, because it's so intensive. But teaching 9 people to read IS intensive work! :) The students REALLY like the curriculum, and I'm glad they do. :)

I'm doing individual lessons via Skype with each student, which is more work for me, but it's much better for the student. They do as much as they can on their own, and then during the lesson we do the reading exercises together and I answer their questions, etc, etc. Each student is different and moves along at his or her own pace. Once or twice a week we do about 20 minutes with all the students together, reviewing sounds, flashcards, reading stories, etc. They enjoy it. :)

If you're wondering, we got 5 sets of LTR Lightunits 1-10 (and Language Arts), so after the older five students have lightly penciled in the answers and corrected any mistakes, they erase the Lightunits for the younger students to reuse (common practice).

So far it's working well. :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions