Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

We will be doing ABeka Consumer Math. Will I need ....

We will be doing ABeka Consumer Math. Will I need ....

Will I actually need the Skills & Review book, or can we just work with the text exercises and that will be plenty?

re: We will be doing ABeka Consumer Math. Will I need ....

I'm hoping the abeka fans will chime in with a real answer so this is a bump. However, a friend recently cleaned her house and gave me 2nd edition consumer math abeka, so I can give a little bit of info.

She didn't have the student workbook, but did give me the teacher edition of S&R. There's a teacher note that says
skills check section is supposed to be done after you read the text but before you do the text exercises. So it's there to make sure you remember how to add/subtract or other skill like find the percentages, or make sure you can work with dollar sign and decimal before doing the problems.

then the review section is for "homework". In the random page I opened to, some of the review includes vocab matching (I'm on section with paychecks and overtime, so those vocab words are part of review).

It looks like the workbook (Skills and Review) is designed to go with the text, but there are plenty of problems in the text itself. The question will be more of does your student need extra review problems, or not. That may vary a bit on student to student depending if the material is self taught or teacher taught, and other factors.

I wish I could say nah, it's not needed for most students. But I haven't used it. I just have it in house thanks to a friend. If my youngest does use this course, I'm likely to not use the S&R book fully as it seems like more isn't always better with her.

re: We will be doing ABeka Consumer Math. Will I need ....

Thank you for digging into that for me! It gives me an idea. I might buy the Consumer Math without the S&R and pour through that first. If it seems like enough and I think my ds can manage it well enough the way it is, perhaps I'll skip the S&R. He doesn't necessarily need too much busy work as he is pretty good in math. And he may not need the review ... maybe : ). But if others have more to add, I'll be curious. You've been very helpful in describing it for me. Much appreciated!!!!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions