Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: ACE or LLATL?

ACE or LLATL?

For a struggling writer who hates pen to paper. 5th grade.
I love LLATL simply because I know it well and it keeps with my CM method a bit better....dictations, short lessons etc
But he loves workbooks and colours and fill in the blank type stuff.
LLATL is cheaper, ACE would be more expensive.
Ugh... not sure.

Well, I've never used LLATL, so I can't really compare the two. I will say that I LOVE ACE's Lit & Creative Writing for grades 4, 5 & 6. Have you looked at samples of it?

If you had to pick between ACE literature/creative writing and ACE English which would you pick? I can only afford one (with word building - which he desperately needs).

Or like I said just do LLATL.

If you use the student book for LLATL, is that workbook-like enough? I know it's not colourful though.

Well, that's what I can't really decide on. I think he might enjoy the ACE because it's very open and go, very colourful, and more Grammar and fill in the blanks than writing. He hates writing. But then again, that's what he needs to work on, ya know??

This post was edited on May 08, 2017 03:05 PM

re: re: ACE or LLATL?

Not sure if I can help, but I'm nearly in the same boat. We used CLE and although I loved the program, my son (non-writer) did not. It was a struggle to get him to do his work. I tried the 1st two lessons of LLATL and he loves it. I can see how some people may think it's not enough, but sometimes quality is better than quantity. My son was about finished with CLE 5 and he barely passed the LLATL 5 placement. We are starting w/5 (purple book) b/c we are just starting American History and will try to go fast-paced to get through most of it & grade 6 with him by the end of next year. As I go through the lessons, not skipping any of it, he and I are both enjoying it and it reviews everything without the endless practice problems. If I see he doesn't get something, I'll use my own extra examples. Also, people say it's light on spelling, but I like that. This way when he spells things wrong in other areas of school, I add those words to his weekly list. I'm going to continue with it.

Sorry, just seeing your question about Lit & Creative Writing vs English.

If I was only going to choose one, I would probably choose the Lit & Creative writing. They read such good books.

With my older children, I think we did both, or at least some other English. With my last child, I did the English PACES and simply read the books in the Lit course. Mainly because I thought he needed more grammar, and having him sit and work through both sets of PACES would have been a struggle. I think the Lit PACES are very good, but my one complaint is that sometimes it breaks up the reading of the book too much. For instance you're reading along, then it takes a break and you work through several days of workbook pages, before getting back to reading. I was thinking if he just read, he would get the feel of getting lost in a really good book. Don't know if that makes sense, or not!

Thank you 😊. Still trying to figure out what to use ....
I think your right though to just do the English and then simply read the literature selections.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions