Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Comments on Abeka Video verses Bob Jones DVD's?

Comments on Abeka Video verses Bob Jones DVD's?

I was just wondering if anyone had any comments/comparisons on Abeka dvds verses Bob Jones DVD's - specifically for grades 8 and up.

Thanks so much and God Bless!

re: Comments on Abeka Video verses Bob Jones DVD's?

We use BJU DVD's for High school. Love it. Abeka is done in a classroom setting, where with BJU it is just a teacher. In high school, some of the BJU classes are taped live LINC classes, so you can hear some students calling in their answers.

Abeka Math in high school is seriously outdated.

You can go to www.digitallearningnetwork.com to learn more about BJU DVD's. I cannot say enough about them, they are wonderful.

Cindy

we are currently doing grade 8 with abeka dvd curriculum. this is our second year using the dvd curriculum. we began last year, in grade 7, by using just science and Language ARts. (previous to that, we used Abeka textbooks...) we were so thrilled with the DVD's that we went with the entire grade curriculum this year. Again, we are absolutely thrilled with the academics, the Godliness of the teachers, the organization, and our son loves every single one of his teachers (no boring teachers!) Our son took the national Catholic High school entrance exam and got in the highest percentile on language arts (a perfect score in three sections) and an above average score in math (which is his least favorite subject). So, we are very pleased.

I have viewed BJU and they are academically comparable. BJU would be a "close second" choice for us. Both programs are academically top-notch, organized, identical in price, and the teachers are wonderful. The difference is that the BJU teachers are taped alone in a studio, whereas the Abeka teachers are taped in a classroom with live students. We have stayed with Abeka because our son likes being part of a "class". (he laughs with the class, enjoys the review games and teacher's jokes...)

i would never hesitate to use BJU or Abeka. I am studying what to use for next year, as our son will be in grade 9... We have not made the decision whether to send our son to Catholic HS or keep him home. I checked with our high school and they said they would accept every single credit from ABeka Academy, as I gave them Abeka's accreditation information, which is top notch (I'm pretty sure BjU's is the same...).So, we are contemplating homeschooling for one more year, then perhaps integrating Sam into high school.

Let me know if i can answer any more questions. Personally, the money we spent on the DVD curriculum has been worth every single penny. HTH.

cindy: thanks for your comment regarding abeka math.

i have been concerned about the abeka math for high school. from my personal study, i think it's outdated too. (it's very good, solid and traditional, but doesn't incorporate alot of the abstract reasoning skills needed for college).. Other than that, we would LOVE LOVE LOVE to stay with abeka for high school.

can you share with me/us more about what you know regarding BJU math versus Abeka math?

bumping up so cindy and others will comment. thanks.

Re: Abeka & BJUP High School math...
I might have posted this comment before that I got from a review on an email loop regarding Abeka. Below that comment is a comment on BJUP:

In grades 9 – 12, A Beka has not written original textbooks. In keeping with their goal of traditional education, A Beka found quality textbooks from pre-modern-math eras. In the case of the Algebra I text, they went back to a 1911 publication. They revised the format and appearance of these old texts with an end result that is immediately appealing to the eye and easy to read and follow. In a few cases, outdated references in story problems were replaced with more modern counterparts. With those exceptions, over 95% of the A Beka publications are word for word identical to the original publications.

The impact of this is that the books do an outstanding job of teaching traditional topics. The practice exercises are of high quality, and often times are more challenging than those that appear in modern texts. The other impact, however, is that none of the modern topics appear in the books. The algebra books do not cover inequalities. They do not distinguish between functions and relations. Set theory is notably absent. Symbolic logic is excluded from geometry. This would not be important to a student planning to major in history or English in college. But it could put students at a disadvantage who are intending to major in math, computers, or science.

Do not use BJUP if you want a strictly traditional curriculum.
BJU recognizes that legitimate advances are being made in educationeven though a lot of ideas that go around in educational circles are not of much value. BJUP therefore differentiates between ideas that are in conformity with Biblical principles and those that are not,rather than rejecting all modern ideas outright. Thus, BJUP math includes sets, logic, properties of operations, etc, that are modern in spirit. At the same time, the curriculum maintains a proper balance by focusing on traditional skills and applications.

Thanks Crissy!!!

She summed that up nicely!!

BJU covers things needed for the SAT/PSAT's. My son scored very high on the Math portion. I just think that Abeka is to fast paced and to worried about kids getting ahead before they are ready to do so.

I LOVE BJU DVD's. My son has received an EXCELLENT education, without a doubt using these.

Cindy

oh, those are great summaries and thank you. yes, i have found abeka very solid but kind of "stodgy" in their math..compared ot the math our older kids did/do at the catholic high school, using secular (but very excellent) textbooks.

However, i have not found abeka too fast paced. Infact, i'm concerned because our son is doing algebra I this year (for grade 8), and BJU and Abeka both offer Algebra I on DVD for grade 9. However, I think both publishing companies will allow us to move on to Geometry in grade 9, by substituting the math. I have to call and find out.

Do any of you have experience using BJU's Geometry Dvd curriculum? i read the review online this morning and it sounds good.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions