Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

PAC IPC and Chemistry 101 DVD

PAC IPC and Chemistry 101 DVD

For those of you who used or are using the PAC IPC course and the Chemistry 101 DVD, would you (pretty please) share your schedule? I am interested in knowing which chapters of the text correlate with the videos. If you would be willing to help I would be most appreciative. Thank you!

Amanda
aka zippymom

re: PAC IPC and Chemistry 101 DVD

Just listening in. Honestly, I had just planned on having the kids watch one Chemistry 101 episode per week and not worry about matching it up. I'm curious though if anyone has created a schedule.

We are using that this year too and going by timberdoodle's schedule which I think is watching one video per week in no particular order.

The chemistry 101 has a whole lesson plan you can use to make a full year program just out of it. Don't plan on using that but may look at some of the ideas along the way. Some of the assignments looked interesting.

I don't know anything about the PAC course, but the Chem 101 DVDs have full lesson plans and accreditation booklet for high school included. (They're on the last disc.) There are additional reading and research projects assigned, as well as field trip ideas.

It's probably best to watch the DVD lessons in order because he often refers to something discussed in a previous lesson. IOW, you can tell that he assumes the student has watched all previous lessons.

If your student isn't going to college, or isn't going into anything that requires higher level chemistry and beyond, then the Chem 101 course is enough by itself. But if your student truly needs a college-prep course, then it's good to add something else like you're planning on doing. I just don't know anything about the PAC course to be able to comment on that in particular.

It's probably best to watch the DVD lessons in order because he often refers to something discussed in a previous lesson. IOW, you can tell that he assumes the student has watched all previous lessons.

-------
This is helpful to know, and I think the BIO 101 videos were like this a bit too, IIRC.

I'm just planning to use the videos only along with the ICP....Once/week or so as Pottersclay suggested. The ICP is the core of his science this year, and the videos are more or less just to add in some more visuals. I think the CHEM 101 alone would be perfect for him if he was the type of self-motivated student who could handle researching/reading from a variety of sources to get the needed info. For HIM, though, he needs the structure that PAC provides. This will be his last official science for high school, unless he surprises me with some sort of request to pursue physics for his senior year...Ya never know! LOL

I am doing what Pottersclay spelled out. As Nancy said, the DVDs are an extra visual for us, not the course.

Thank you for the replies! We will just do a video a week to go with the PAC IPC . I feel kinda silly...probably should have given the DVD set more than a quick read. I am looking forward to DD using the IPC since she enjoyed the 8th grade science set with PAC last year. We are using an lab kit as well. Thanks again!

Which lab kit are you using? Inquiring minds.....

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions