Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Logic of English

Logic of English

Okay, somebody posted about this as a recommendation - tell me, what is the ideal student for this program? It is expensive and I'm not sure that I want to go there but as I work through our annual required testing for my ds I'm thinking that we need a year of much more intensive review of the phonics stuff. He's a severe dyslexic and over the years what works for him is to be taught the lessons, retaught the lessons and review the lessons - but not all at the same time frame. kwim? He also has dysgraphia and low working memory (it is like things literally fall out of his while he sleeps each night) but the mastery programs have been the key to success. I've had great retention with WTM's grammar (although we stopped 3/4 of the way through because that was diagramming overkill) but I can see that he remembers it which is key.

I've been using AAS but I'm not seeing the retention there and it just seems so slow for him - we're not making a lot of progress. I don't want something like Barton (too expensive, teacher I don't know what, etc.) He's made a lot of forward progress and reading is almost to at grade level but I want to move forward - especially since he's entering 8th. I'm going to work on writing this year which I haven't done a whole lot of either because I felt it was more important to be able to read and comprehend first (working on how I'm going to tackle that one, too).

At any rate I see LOE recommended and I've also seen this recommended:
Blast off to Reading - link is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0983199639/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any thoughts?

re: Logic of English

We tried AAS, too. It was okay, but I also didn't see the retention I had hoped for. I really wanted to be able to use Spalding and WRTR. I ended up using the Phonics Road which is much more than just spelling and we are plugging along at an accelerated rate since my children are older. Out of curiosity, I purchased the 4th edition of WRTR later on and I must say that if I had got this edition of the book first, I would probably be using the Spalding method. The later editions just have too much information. The 4th edition is easier to read with its large print and less intimidating since there is less jargon to sift through. It is inexpensive to buy the 4th ed and the phonogram cards and you can work through the words at you own pace. I would also add writing to this. I find that the more my son writes, the more words he starts to spell correctly. Even if he is just journaling, emailing, making lists, any type of writing exercise helps. I've been reading through The Writer's Jungle and she suggests Free Write Fridays. You can read more about that on her Brave Writer blog. HTH

LOE Essentials was specifically developed for the struggling reader as it is an intensive phonics program. I don't have experience using it with someone with dyslexia, but there are "Extra Practice" pages in each chapter that review what were previously learned in the earlier lessons. There is also a phonogram quiz in the beginning of the lesson to review learned phonograms. In addition, every 5th lesson is an "Assessment and Review" chapter. There are sample schedules for the "Struggling Readers and Spellers," "Struggling Spellers," "Emerging Readers and Spellers," Young Emerging Readers," and "ESL Students." You may use this for reading, spelling or both. You may also email the creator Denise Eide directly on LOE's website. She's very helpful.

ETA: I purchased the Teacher's Manual, Student Workbook and the Basic Phonograms Cards. That's it!

This post was edited on Jun 23, 2013 06:03 PM

I used it was a 9yo who was struggling. It is a great curriculum and it worked. I saw results right away with my son. I went to the website and you can order pdf's of the TM and Student workbook for the first part for about $20.00. (and you get the digital version for your kindle also in the link) I made my own flashcards using index cards as we went through the lessons, and I used a small whiteboard I got a the dollar store for a dollar. My son actually liked it.

Can I ask how far you are in AAS?

I ask because my ds (dyslexic tendencies and dysgraphia) didn't make real strides w/ this until HS. I've noticed a huge difference in the last couple of yrs. It just finally "clicked." When he's asked about spelling, I use the AAS terms/thought process to help him figure it out. As he's progressed, he's getting better about having the spelling correct the first time or will have it correct as an option.

I'm not familiar w/ LOE, though, so I can't compare them or talk about that but I did want to mention what I've found w/ my ds.

HTH
K

I was thinking about your op and pulled out my WRTR 4th ed. book and saw that the phonogram cards are in the book. You can make photocopies of them or make your own from them.

K - he's entering 8th and we've made if almost through level 3. I don't drag out lessons and we move on when I think he's got it mastered for the most part. He's made great strides and it may be best to just keep plugging along - just so unsure. Dyslexic kiddos need so much review, review, review and for this kid he needs to feel familiar with what we're doing. If I change anything he gets out of sorts for quite a bit. I like AAS because there is minimal writing - I save writing for other coursework because of the dysgraphia. Ugh! Sometimes I wish I had a magic ball rather than the 8 ball I had back from the 70s.

Oh, I can *totally* relate!!

For my ds, the maturity factor has come into play w/ this. From what you've said, I probably wouldn't switch it up at this point. I think for them, spelling is always going to be a struggle so we need to keep what we're using familiar and gentle - nothing "new" and minimal writing. Although, I have also found that having him use the spelling w/ his writing also has helped.

Another part is letting him type. The spell-check isn't perfect, but it does help w/ those horridly basic phonemic spellings. It helps to sink in a bit more as they start using it more. My ds is a perfectionist to boot so he "has" to do it right and completely the *first* time. <sigh> But, I will say again that he's doing much better w/ his spelling, and we aren't much further along than you are.

I'll admit, I'm tempted for this ds *because I'm running out of time w/ him. But, I know that AAS is helping and works. (Plus, I can use it for the rest of my crew, too. Youngest is looking to be very similar in his strengths/weaknesses to oldest.)

Just wanted to share that you're not alone. ;-)

K

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions