Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Can't decide! MFW ECC or Sonlight Eastern Hemispheres

Can't decide! MFW ECC or Sonlight Eastern Hemispheres

I was thinking about doing Sonlight's Eastern Hemisphere (Core F) next year for my soon to be 6th and 7th graders. I've heard great things about it and that it's one of Sonlight's better cores.

But...I was looking at the MFW catalog and noticed that it also has something similar in Exploring Cultures and Countries. I've looked at reviews for this as well and it also seems good.
So now I'm stuck in the middle not knowing which direction to go in.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these, especially with the grades my children are in? I see ECC can be started as early as 3rd grade so I don't want it to be to "young" for my kids.
All the reading (sometimes 3 books at one time) in Sonlight can be overwhelming for my kids but I don't want to miss out on a great core because of that.

I'm sure the guides are different as well.

Any help, suggestions, or comparisons would be great.

Thanks!

Jenn

re: Can't decide! MFW ECC or Sonlight Eastern Hemispheres

Give my fathers world a try...Sonlight was too much reading for us.

This post was edited on Feb 06, 2014 01:13 PM

Suggestion: Do ECC and buy the books you like from Sonlight to use in lieu of ECC's "book basket". You'll find some of the same titles on the book basket list, anyway.

Just a thought.

kayrenee has a great suggestion. That's one of the reason I'm so attracted to MFW. It's not overwhelming but leaves room for me to add what I want.

Just a FYI, the 5th year books and schedule available free at www.charlottemasonhelp.com is similar to both SL eastern Hemisphere and MFW ECC.

I'll give a plug for SL Eastern Hemisphere---it was the first SL Core we used and yes, there is an adjustment period to all of the reading, but this Core was SO great, truly one of our favorites! All the reading and then the Eastern Hemisphere Explorer just makes this SUCH a deep and rich program.

MFW ECC or Sonlight Eastern Hemispheres

I would use ECC because it covers South America and other areas not covered in the Sonlight core. MFW ECC also includes science, but I'm not sure if that science included in the Sonlight package. I agree that using the reading list from Sonlight at your own pace could be a great addition to ECC.

I'll give another plug for SL Eastern Hemisphere. Both are excellent programs, but for this age/grade level, the depth of reading and the notebooking /research skills in this Core are perfect. :o)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions