Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Switched on Schoolhouse

Switched on Schoolhouse

Tell me about this if you've used it, especially for high school. I would not be able to purchase grade level kits since some of the courses are courses they have already taken.

re: Switched on Schoolhouse

We are using it now for highschool. My boys like it and it doesn't take them very long to finish it. (about 3-4 hours for 4 subjects) I don't have advanced lesson plan on, we just do the next lesson for each subject daily. I skip alot of the projects and stuff we don't want to do. At the end of the week I go over all missed problems and see if I need to give them credit for an actual correct answer and then I print off a grade report for the week. It shows the subjects, lessons, and grades for the time frame I put in. I keep this filed for easy quick access.
It's nice and professional looking with our schools name at the top.
My boys are learing from it and find it interesting. The new features are really good. (we used the old editions when they were younger and liked it then too.) The custom home page is nice and it's even easier to navigate. It's easy to skip lessons or erase them for them to redo. It's easy to print grade reports and now can print transcripts. Also, if you have a newer operating system (windows 8 or Vista) the text to speech option is really nice and sounds great. (The older operating systems have a very robotic voice)
I think it's very versatile and great for a highschooler who want to work independently. My number one favorite thing is the instant feedback it provides. This is really good for them.

If you get a used edition and buy a new elective like College Planner (cost $35.00) that install disk updates your older edition to the newest. You aren't suppose to buy or be gifted a used edition though.
We had a slight issue with Windows 8 because we purchased 2012, but the new 2013 is Windows 8 compatible.

They are also going to do MFW ECC with my other children and I'm letting them count it as electives. (World Cultures and Ecosystems) We do our own Bible study.

>> At the end of the week I go over all missed problems and see if I need to give them credit for an actual correct answer and then I print off a grade report for the week. <<

How do you do this? Do you go back and find the answers yourself within the lessons? I know that might sound like a dumb question but I have never used SOS so I don't know. I would assume if there are many missed problems, that could be time consuming.

Thanks for your help, Truthwalker! :-)

I'm really struggling with what to choose. Choosing SOS seems so stress-free for the basics.

Here is my review on SOS, with a few screenshots, as well as a few links to other things that might help.
Keep in mind this review hasn't been updated lately, so while I talk about newer installation discs will give user-friendly answers, I'm sure the *newest installation discs have even nicer features than anything I've mentioned. =)

http://martysahm.blogspot.com/2010/02/homeschool-curriculum-that-i-use.html

And truthwalker, I didn't know you weren't even supposed to be *gifted SOS! wow.

From the Teacher Portal i click on the lesson and it shows his answers. The answes he got wrong are red. I click on that problem and click the "show answer" tab. If his answer is correct but was marked wrong due to spelling or different wording I can change the score box for that problem from 0% to 100% or even 50% if I decide to give him half credit for it. SOS automatically readjusts the overall grade. If the question is confusing to me and Im not sure about it I "skip "it so the problem doesnt count one way or the other. My kids dont miss alot of problems but if they do I usually just clear the lesson grade and have them redo it. All this is very easy to do from the Teacher Portal. The student can also send you a message like an electronic sticky note. If they come to a problem they have a problem with they can attach a message directly to that problem so when I open the Teacher Portal and click that message it opens right up to that problem as well.

That's what my kids have done. If they feel an answer should be counted correct, they send me a note, and I can go directly to that particular problem by clicking on my notification.

Also, for True/False, if they get it wrong, they are required to find and highlight the correct answer, then send me a note w/ the color they used (in case there is more than one per lesson). I don't like them to guess the answers.

Oh, and there is one week left to get the 20% off.
I'm pretty sure it's 20% off every year in April, and *maybe??? 15% off in May? Not totally sure if that's still the case.

Thanks ladies. How do you feel about the math? Which levels of the math have you used? TY!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions