Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Math for Daughter w/Auditory Processing Disorder

Math for Daughter w/Auditory Processing Disorder

My dd has auditory processing disorder, and struggles in math. She is on a second grade level in math even though she is much older. She has a hard time remembering larger math facts, understanding carrying, remembering values for coins (she mixes up nickels, dimes, quarters, etc.). At this point I don't think she will ever be able to understand higher math (because she doesn't even understand simple math!), but for now what to work on the level she is on and move from there. I am considering either ACE or MUS for math for her. I think she will definitely benefit from the mastery style, and with both programs we can work were she is at before moving on. Also ACE seems more simplified in their explanations, so it won't confuse her as much. Do you think ACE or MUS would be better? Or...if you have another recommendation I would love to hear it.

This post was edited on Apr 11, 2013 04:10 PM

re: Math for Daughter w/Auditory Processing Disorder

My son is in the same situation and we have always used MUS. Recently he is stumbling with multiplication (memorizing facts) and regrouping. He knows what to do, but he stumbles with lining up the numbers correctly. I like how Mr. Demme can show us on the video different ways to do problems, but wonder if ACE might give more practice and go over more concepts within a year's time. I'd love to hear from others who have used both.

Thanks!

I use Mcruffy.It is easy and hands on but not mastery style. I' m not sure it will work for you. My dc also mixed up coins.I used you tube videos and abcya.com has videos that helped my dc with this.

This post was edited on Apr 12, 2013 05:14 AM

Sounds alot like my dd14. I homeschooled her for a while and we used all kinds of math. She has always struggled with it. Then she went to a couple different Christian Schools and she used SAXON. Which just killed any liking that she had for math (she does like it when she understands it). So, this year at school they found ALEKS math for her. The school said they are using it to see where she places for next year. But, we are not planning on sending her back. We did look at TT, she HATES the mans voice, but when we did some problems and muted his voice she was fine with it. I don't know what we'll do for next year. I have just realized that anything online, math she can see and isn't on paper, she does much better with. I know alot of people say these disorders are best taught with hands-on subjects, but hands on math with my daughter is a disaster!

Thank you all for your responses. It is really frustrating. I think I am realizing we are going to have to alter the goals we have for her because of her limitations :(. Her future seems pretty bleak if she can't even understand basic math. I kept hoping there would be a magic curriculum that would help everything click, but that probably isn't going to be so. I will continue working on dietary intervention, and brain training in the mean time.

The author of Mastering Mathematics designed her curriculum with your daughter's specific needs in mind as her own daughter had some processing disorders.

You can also have her take the free diagnostic test at Schooloftomorrow.com just to see how she would fare using that program. I think you'll get a basic idea of where she is at.

HTH,

Dee

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions