Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Khan Academy reviews?

Khan Academy reviews?

Anyone use Khan Academy? Would you be willing to share a review?

I'm looking ahead at resources for next year (7th grade) and wonder if the videos here are helpful.

Thanks.

re: Khan Academy reviews?

That guy takes forever to spit out the concept. But, he is thorough. We use just the videos when something in A Beka is difficult for DD to grasp. I think Khan makes
an excellent reference.

There are a few ladies here who use the problem section also. I hope they chime in for you.

https://www.khanacademy.org/about
All my scholars (ages 7-12) use Khan Academy. My husband and I also have accounts and are set up to be "coaches." As a coach, I can track how much time each child spends, which videos they view, which exercises they try and which concepts they have mastered and which concepts they are struggling with. The badges earned on the site have been highly motivational for my scholars and they often compare "energy points" with one another. The content is arranged in a logical format. You can try any segment that you wish, but it will suggest which exercises you might want to try next, based on your past performance. There is also a goal setting function. Each month I set goals for each scholar and they must work on those skills, but are also free to explore the site as time allows. My 12 year old is working her way through some statistics exercises simply due to her own interests. My 7 year old has been self-motivated to learn adding and subtracting with negative numbers. I think any child above 4 or 5th grade can use the program. There are fewer skills that a younger child can master, but with supervision, a younger child can use the system as well.

The best way to understand Khan is to start with your own account and watch some videos and do some exercises yourself.
http://www.khanacademy.org/about

If you want to see the standards by grade level, use this page:
http://www.khanacademy.org/commoncore

We have not used it sequentially, but for topics. Some videos are quite good and others are not, in my opinion. I agree with Minnie that Sal can take a while to get to the point, but ds is always watching a topic he is familiar with and just needs clarifying so that might be the cause of that frustration. It might be better to be viewing to learn a concept rather than to get a few details.

You should watch and see what you think!

Spetzi

We use it for math lessons where more help is needed. It has been a great help! It is nice to have a different way of explaining how to solve the problems.

We just use it sporadically for specific topics if someone needs more instruction. We use Chalkdust Math, so we don't need much more video instruction, except it can be hard to rewind/find the exact topic we need again so I just type in the concept on Khan and watch their instruction. Works great for us that way

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions