Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Best Phonics Program for Kindergarten

Best Phonics Program for Kindergarten

Hi! I am researching for a good solid phonics program to teach my dd how to read. When my oldest was in K, I used Mcruffy and she is am amazing reader who now is in 4th grade. The problem is that Mcruffy is a very intense program that moves very quickly. My two girls are very different and I just know it won't work for my youngest. Any suggestions? What worked for you and what didn't?

re: Best Phonics Program for Kindergarten

Huge fan of ETC and the books that go before. Love them!

Blend Phonics. Its available online for free. I have used it with a couple of my own dc. It was created by a teacher years ago and she used it to teach thousands of kids how to read. Please, please check it out. It even includes the free readers, progress charts, certificate of completion and more. All for free. I loved it.

http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/blend_phonics.html

Rochea

I have heard that Explode The Code is just a supplement and that it doesn't teach rules, is that true or did I miss understand?

I will check out that website Rochea...thank you.

It's all i used. I tried alphaphonics alongside it a couple times, but not with success. AP was just too boring for my children. Etc was just enough.

I have used ETC alone a number of times. It works great to teach children how to read.

I am using Rod and Staff phonics right now. If you want rules, this is a great way to go.

I used the Pathway readers for my littles. We also used Phonics Pathways at different times to reinforce or give time. They enjoyed the Reading Pathways book, too.

I also used MFW K in a modified way for my ds when he needed a break from the other program. (Both my little ones hit the proverbial "wall" at one point.) I would highly, highly recommend that for a dc who might need some adjusting. *I wish I had used it completely for my ds at the time. Hindsight, you know.

Another great program that has come out since we needed it is All About Reading. I absolutely LOVE the AASpelling program and if I could do it over, would really like the chance to look at that.

So, to help you out, I would put MFW at the top of the list.
I would love to use both that and AAR together, but w/out using one and not knowing how or if they would flow or not, well . . . LOL Plus, honestly, you don't need 2 programs typically. LOL Now, the Pathway books would easily go w/ any program. The workbooks would be easy to use for those concepts that a dc needs more practice on or if a dc just wants worksheets to do so they are doing their own "school" like older siblings.
But, MFW would be **plenty and gentle.

K

We usually use the Abeka reading handbook. ( not the rest of the workbooks, just the handbook ). But I have heard good things about the MFW reading program too.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions