Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

For the long haul...

For the long haul...

On days like today I truly feel like raising godly children via homeschooling is going to be the death of me. i have too many days like this. it is so one day at a time right now.

I really do. I feel like I am going to die of stress. I know that's my own fault. I don't blame my family for these feelings. It's not their fault.

Thank you all kindly for mercifully letting me post such honest emotions here that I would never utter to another soul.

re: For the long haul...

I sympathize with you. I often feel like I battle with the whole family when it comes to homeschooling and life in general. The kids don't want to do the work unless I get tough with them. DH wants either me or the kids to do his thing at all hours of the day and night. I feel like I'm fighting a battle everyday.

I wish I could give you some tips but I can't. Right now I'm spent from getting DH off.

This post was edited on Feb 19, 2013 10:11 AM

Farm school, thank you. There is really nothing anyone could say to make it better, I'm sure u know what I mean.

I am right there with u about fighting the battle. It has become NOTHING in my mind but purely a daily battle. I'm tired of trying to grasp for straws of joy. I feel like I can't fight anymore.
And.....no matter how well my kids are minding, I seem to experience this inward sense of anger and resentment. I know that's wrong of me.

I echo the words of Sonya Shaffer when she said, "This is what I get for serving you Lord? Forget it!" I think, I'm striving to do His will at my best. Yet I feel angry, empty, walked on, forgotten, inexpressibly tired, used, bored, etc.

This has been my struggle for over a year. It's not going away.

This is serving God??

I do know how you feel. I've been involved in a Bible study based on Swindoll's book "Laugh Again" I got the book on my kindle with to "Hope Again". There are days I try to find joy or just make up my mind to be Happy and Joyful. I don't do it every day or even all day long but I do try despite the ragging battles of wills and work.

Those sound like great books!!

You are right. So many days I have to keep repeating "choose joy".
And sometimes it works, sometimes not.
I recently posted on FB " Happy is as happy does"

Sometimes feelings follow the words but not always.

Thanks for the book recommendations!

I would love to say that homeschooling is a joyous wonderful journey but I don't know that I will ever feel that way again.

Wish we could visit over a cup of coffee. Oh, the stories we could swap!

If it's any consolation, none of us is stranger to stressful days. Today I had to deal with my son's negative attitude and dawdling behavior over a Biology lab. Sigh. It got so frustrating, I finally grabbed my car keys, announced I was going to the post office and left. (glad I have teens and can do that!). We were both better by the time I returned and able to laugh about it. But, wow, all I could think about during my drive was the hundreds of dollars I just spent on his books for fall, and all the other things I could have done with that money! LOL

Are there any causes of your stress that can be addressed and tackled head on? Or is it just a low-level and ever-present stress about the responsibility of being mom?
Jen

Jenny, I think u said it exactly with ever present stress of being a mom. I am so FED up with scenarios like what u described! If only I could get my keys and go for awhile. Haha

If I wasn't such a solid believer in having my kids at home I would put them in school. I sometimes wonder if we should be together all day as I worry about my joyless ness and aggravation rubbing off on them.
Shweew.....lots of big feelings coming out here!

The REALLY funny part is that to those around us our life/me look pretty "together". Not perfect, just good. And we don't fake. We are quite open about our rough times. Maybe our friends are seeing something good that I just don't see right now.

I understand how you feel.
I have struggled with homeschooling my youngest 4 kids for years now and today I have decided that I can not keep doing things the way I have been. The just DO NOT listen to a thing I say when it comes to academics. Ok, a lot of other things either, but school work is WORSE because I have done everything I can to make it enjoyable and interesting and keeping them all together and once again, today, I read 4 senteces about something, and the 9 and 10 yo boys had to answer ONE question by circling the type of foods a traveler took on a trail. There were PICTURES, for pete's sake!! Not even words! I read it to them. Could they get it right? Of course not. So, I quit. I just quit. I gave them each books of their own to read and I will continue reading the books "I" want to read outloud (they don't listen to that either) and the rest of the work they can do stupid worksheets.
They can just do school-at-home schooling. Hmph

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions