Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: Sonlight Core 200 instead of MFW AHL

We recently finished up Core 200----it was WONDERFUL!!!!! One of our favorites now---loved the history, loved the lit selections. And the new Instructor's Guides with the matching student guides are top notch!!! i really can't say enough good things about how great this program was ;)

4wildberries, that is great to hear!

I wondered how the new highschool IGs are compared to the old ones. The highschool cores have not received the attention of Sonlight nearly as much as the younger cores, so that did concern me a bit.

My dd is super excited by 200 and relieved that I am not having her study ancients again. And I am glad I asked her about AHL and 200 because she needs to be motivated to be at her best as a student.

Sheila, thanks for the tip about the library. Good idea. I will check the online card catalog and see what they have and whether interlibrary loan could get us additional stuff.

cbollin, you didn't need to edit your posts. : ) You are a very caring person and your heart comes through. I know your motivation was trying to help me make the best decision so thank you for your thoughts. : )

This post was edited on Feb 19, 2013 08:05 AM

re: re: Sonlight Core 200 instead of MFW AHL

Would Core 200 be okay for a 9th grader, or should I wait until she's in 10th? In the younger cores I found that doing the core below their grade level worked better, wasn't sure if I should have the same concern for high school. And what did you all think of the language arts? I too am torn between mfw and sl for next year. Thank you so much for any wisdom you can share!

Hi Kim,
There are a good number of us on the Sonlight forums who will be using core 200 with a 9th grader.

If you go to the public Sonlight forums, you can ask about it in the 'Choosing' forum.

Sonlight.com and then scroll all the way down to the bottom and 'Forums' will be in small print. Click on it and it will open a new window with access to the forums.

For a 9th grader, the subject matter of Core 200 is fine, but there is a significant amount of daily lit reading, so I would say reading level/ability would determine whether a 9th grader is ready for 200 or not.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions