Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

ACE Chemistry or Chemistry 101 w/ dvds

ACE Chemistry or Chemistry 101 w/ dvds

Which one and why would you choose???? Totally different choices, but this is what I have narrowed it down to for my 11th grade dd who wants to go to a one year cosmetology school after high school.

re: ACE Chemistry or Chemistry 101 w/ dvds

In your case, I would probably suggest going with ACE only because using the Chem 101 DVDs requires getting books the library, field trips, and following the lesson plans that you print out in order for it to be high school worthy. It basically ends up being a unit study done this way.

OR you could get the DVDs to watch those (because they are really enjoyable), and then let your dd do ACE instead of all the extras that go with the DVDs.

we did ace and my dd didnt get much out of it. the dvds were very old, like 1980's old and the course was confusing to her.
ftr, she starts cosmetology school the 21st and they don't care if she did chemistry or not.

We used ACE for physical science, and it's very thorough. However, I didn't find the fill-in-the-blank method to be a good fit for us.

We used Biology 101 and Chemistry 101. With the Biology 101, I used selected readings from the Abeka Chemistry textbook, as well as their labs.

For Chemistry 101 (excellent videos; we learned so much) we used the Homework Helper: Chemistry text, and ACE video labs (not a perfect fit, but it was okay.)

I'm not one to go to the library and find a bunch of books, so the backup text method worked for us. The Chemistry 101 lectures are very interesting.

I would say Chem101. My son is doing Ace chemistry now and it is very thorough and very math based too! If your daughter is going to cosmetology school, I don't think a really hard chemistry is necessary----unless of course she wants a hard chemistry ;)

FTR, I *like* Chem 101.... my dd is doing it now. I much prefer it over ACE. But you have to choose something that will get DONE. If you're not good at following through with books from the library and field trips and activities that are suggested in the lesson plans for h.s. credit, ACE might be the better choice. So that's why I voted for ACE in this case.

You might want to check out Friendly Chemistry. It is very user friendly and really covers high school chemistry without being overwhelming.

www.friendlychemistry.com. It is also sold at www.rainbowresources.com and www.timberdoodle.com

You could do the Chemistry paces from Pacworks and the new Chemistry/Physics from Apologia that is coming out. (Yes, I know that that book is targeted at jr. high, but I think they are wonderful!) and then watch the Chem 101 videos on Friday. That way you won't be tracking down books. I can look up which pacworks books are Chem. if you choose to go that way.

Friendly Chem. looks really good too.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions