Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Progeny Press vs. Total Lang. Plus

Progeny Press vs. Total Lang. Plus

I've used one Progeny Press before and it looks like TLP might be more detailed/more subjects covered? Any thoughts??

Thanks,
Kristen

This post was edited on Feb 07, 2013 08:14 AM

re: Progeny Press vs. Total Lang. Plus

TLP does a lot of spelling/vocabulary. Grammar is taught via dictation. There are a few comprehension questions for each chapter. The writing and additional activities assignments are varied...creative, projects, research...but, you choose (or your student chooses). For us, there were too many to choose from and we felt way too much emphasis was put on spelling/vocabulary and not really any on literary analysis.

Progeny Press seems to be far more "literary" imo. There is vocabulary, but it's just one exercise to help the student recognize the words in his reading for that section. It's a perfect amount of vocabulary for the literature (we do Wordly Wise for our actual vocabulary program). The questions are thought-provoking and require detailed answers. There are literary devices questions and a section that incorporates Bible passages as it relates to the novel. This section is separate and can be done or not. It does not affect the efficacy of the guide at all.

We are preferring the PP guide. The TLP had too much busy work...decoding puzzles, crosswords, unscramble, etc. We didn't really like the writing assignments and there were just too many to choose from. PP is a bit more streamlined. My son prefers his grammar and vocabulary to be separate. We have done a few TLP guides over the years, wanting them to work because they are "all-inclusive". All-inclusive just doesn't work for us...ymmv.

hth,
Robin

I understand what Robin is saying.....that may be the reason that we stop using TLP for ds in 8th next year. However, dd in 10th is really doing great with the high school level guides. They are more in depth with more literary terms and deeper thinking.

These were written by an English teacher. I actually talked to her on the phone a few years ago. Very nice and helpful.......and after teaching English for years, I feel she knows what is important in an English/Lit class.

singingranch...

Maybe it's a gender thing? My dd20 used a few in high school and had no complaints. But ds15 says they take the enjoyment out of the books.

hmmmm.
Robin

These are some good things to think about..... maybe a little detail would be helpful. I'm thinking for my ds12. He has not done much literature study at all. He is very visual-spatial and prefers non-fiction. His spelling is pretty bad too. He does well with grammar and has used (and likes) the Easy Grammar series. His vocabulary is very good and he has an interest in learning more. I usually don't do well either with an all-in-one program and prefer to mix and match my resources. But I figured these are all things he could use work in. Hmmmmm is right.......Maybe easing him into a literature study by itself (as in PP) would be a non-overwhelming way to start.........

Thanks for all the input!
Kristen

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions