Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Rosetta Stone and high school credits question

Rosetta Stone and high school credits question

Is one level of RS equivalent to 1 high school credit??

My dd 10th grade is more than halfway done with Spanish 2. We add other activities, some from MFW, some family activities.
I went to their site and printed some of the worksheets but we have not done them.

I am trying to decide whether to now have her do a semester at the local cc or maybe try to get level 3.

how do you assign the language credit for you high schooler if you use Rosetta Stone?

thanks
rmiz

re: Rosetta Stone and high school credits question

I did the RS mfw lesson plans as written (using the full curricluum program, plus audio companion for dictation, and practice, using the activities from the appendix, getting children's books in the language finding someone at church to speak with the language with her.
We did not do the RS worksheets, tests, etc.... )

I felt like it was one credit for level 1 with all of that. We also did level 2 as one year the same. more of the same... and then, with some advice from MFW on Russian, my daughter used the Russian Children's Bible as literature in level 2. My dd was studying Russian.... MFW's author's family lived there for years and had ideas on being able to count it as high school... not college level, not AP, not credit by exam level... but high school.

if we were to go beyond that, I'd look into dual enrollment course. She did Russian in 9th and 10th. so it should be interested in freshman year of college with placement test. She might start back at freshman fall semester level, and I'm ok with that. She might place in 2nd semester. I don't know. after a 2 year absence from study.. I'm not worried on it.

that's what I did.

My son took a public school class (FLVS) for Spanish 1. When he took the rosetta stone placement, he placed 3/4 the way through level 1. That was with an A in Spanish 1. So, I am letting him stop
3/4 of the way through level 2 for equivalent of Spanish 2. I asked two different times ( at rosetta stone). One lady said half way through level 2 equals 2 years. Another lady said all of level 2 was 2 years. My son has auditory processing issues, so foreign language is about checking off the box for us. My Dd, however, did something similar to what above poster said with all the extras, but she loves languages. So, I guess it depends.

Thanks,

This confirms what I was thinking. I am leaning toward CC for one semester of Spanish. I am sure they do placement test to decide what evel of SPaish she would be allowed to take there.

rmiz

Could I ask, what would you expect from a student after two years of language? What level of ability?

1 year of high school anything = 1 semester of college or community college, IMHO.

We did 1 year of RS French. Then, my dd took 1st year high school French in a good private school. Fit right in with other beginning students. She would have floundered in French 2- would have been very hard for her.

I had ordered the RS thinking it would be a great, comprehensive program. It's not. It's a supplement, at best. It is good that you are supplementing with other materials. I don't believe it is good as a stand-alone program.

RS and an average high school or community college program teach in such different ways that there isn't much carry-over from RS to a class. The classes concentrate more on grammar and vocabulary and translation, while RS teaches more listening comprehension and word recognition and immersion.

I find that RS is a good supplement to another program in that it teaches some things that other methods don't. If you combine RS with a tutor and/or a standard textbook, it is fine. If you only do RS and then try to take a more advanced class based upon only doing RS, I think it will be very difficult.

Anyway, you might want to do a placement test at the school to see where your child should be placed. You don't want your child to be place in an inappropriate class. Most schools should be able to give your child a placement test.

Could I ask, what would you expect from a student after two years of language? What level of ability?

I expected my high school child to be able to read a children's book in target language. Or roughly equivalent of a reader of "2nd grade" level of her first language. I don't expect her to be at high school ability level in foreign language after 2 years of study, well.. unless she was living in a country and only using the language.... but she isn't...

I expected her to be able to try to hold a conversation with someone who had lived in the country. She was scared to talk to MFW's David Hazell in Russian.. But was able to talk easily with Professor Carol Reynolds. go figure? yes.. I asked both of those people if they'd be willing to do that for a few minutes at a convention. told them why... David laughed at me (sweetly) and let me know even after living in Russia for 8 years his grammar is awful and his Russian friends joke about it. Carol Reynolds put her arm around my daughter's shoulder and enjoyed the moment to share with a homeschool high school student.

I have no expectations that RS is an AP course, or equivalent to testing out of college. Why can't high school be high school?
Even when I was in high school, we had one French teacher who struggled to speak when she took us on trip to France. The other teacher? way more fluent. Yes, I agree in principle that if you only did RS, you might not really do enough to call it a high school course. But that doesn't mean it can't be a component of it all. Not a supplement, but part of intentional parts used together.

When I got to college? I switched languages instead of staying in French. I didn't test out after 3 years of public school high school French, so I grabbed a new language. Started over. everything I learned in French made it that much easier to try in Italian. My Italian prof used immersion methods very similar to RS. except we had a small textbook that we were suppose to use and he spoke instead of a computer. I was able at age 19 to take the summer Italian course overseas and live in the city. no matter how much you study in high school... once you get over there... you learn differently. I probably couldn't read higher than elementary level material, but I could get around town and order food, take the bus.. talk to people, enjoy conversations at dinner with a family I didn't know. and that was after 1.5 semesters in college at a very rigorous school.

mileage will vary.

My husband and I are both educators. A Rosetta Stone representative came to our conference. My husband asked about credit value for Spanish. The rep informed him that level 1 is equivalent to two years of a foreign language. We purchased only level one, since that was supposed to be all my our son would need. (He has been in private school, but due to military deployment he is having to be homeschooled this year.). Although I realize we hold very high requirements for our kids, I still feel that it would be a far stretch for level 1 to be two years of credit. We are half way through level 1. According to the curriculum there are 84 lessons. Kids are in school 180 days each year. Therefore, we have chosen to use everything Rosetta offers and add extra to it. Just my opinion.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions