Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

What math after Math Mammoth 6

What math after Math Mammoth 6

My dd will be finishing MM 6 this year. What do you use after it? We are not ready to have her start algebra yet, so should she do a regular 7th grade math or something else? Would CLE, Rod and Staff, or Saxon be good? Anything else?

re: What math after Math Mammoth 6

I would move on to "pre-algebra". That's what Maria Miller recommends. I would try to use the same publisher that you plan to use for high school. So, CLE and R&S would not be my first choices.

Saxon 87 or 1/2 would be fine, but you'd want to take the placement test to be sure.

If you're planning to use Teaching Textbooks or Math-U-See, she might place into Algebra 1. My dd did after MM 6.

We ended up trying AoPS Pre-algebra (she didn't like the format) and Lial's Basic College Math (basically a repeat of MM 5&6) before settling on Life of Fred. It doesn't work for every kid, but she really loves it.

I would also check out Horizons Pre-algebra. It's fairly new, but I've only heard good things.

re: What math after Math Mammoth 6

How is BJU pre-algebra? I looked at the samples today and it looks good and looks like the student text explains things well. Any thoughts on this one?

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions