Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

New to homeschooling

New to homeschooling

I have a 6 year old and an 8 year old. Both currently enrolled in a public school. I'm having to convert to homeschooling do to the fact my husband is having to relocate to the UK. I'm unable to enroll them into a school until our visas or approved, so in order to keep the education continuos, I will have to homeschool them. I need advice on what curriculum would be best for them.

re: New to homeschooling

Welcome to the forum. I have homeschooled my 2 children for 5 years. I have 2 daughters, in 4th, and 8th grade.

It's hard to advise you on curriculum, because there are so many different ones out there, and every child/family is different. Even though I've been doing this for 5 years, I have never picked just one program; I pick and choose between different types of learning, different publishers, and use different things for each child, and from year to year.

Science is a subject that is easily combined to do with both your children together, and Apologia has wonderful elementary texts in Botany, Astronomy, and Zoology for kids your children's ages. We especially enjoyed their Astronomy one.

Other than science, I won't give much advice right now. There's other ladies here who will probably do much better than I. : )

Stevenstacy, if your goal is to keep your children current with school norms in the UK so you can eventually transfer them into that educational system, I would advise you to get as much info as you can about that so you'll know what is best for them.

If you do not plan to eventually transfer your children into UK school(s), then a lot of veteran homeschoolers here could give you sage advice. It does sound like you might need to have all your curriculum/supplies together before moving to the UK? It seems that shipping those things from the US to the UK would be very expensive.

Here is a list of courses I use for my 6 and 7 yr old.
1. Mcruffy phonics se
2.Mcruffy color math
3.k12 history ,social studies and science

Agreeing with Gr8ful that if you are going to put them in school in the UK then it is best to find out what they are covering if it is possible to do so.

If you desire to continue to hs then my advice would be very different. When a person starts hsing they usually do not know what learning style the kids have or what teaching style Mom has, so it is best to start simple.

If both of your children know how to read then make sure they are getting some time each day to read aloud to you. If the youngest still needs phonics then Phonics Pathways is simple and to the point. If you want more fun then use something like McRuffy.
www.rainbowresource.com has more hs stuff than Walmart has other stuff!

I like Rod and Staff math because it focuses on the math facts while the children are young and do not add too many concepts quickly. If your child gets board with that then they may do better with ABeka or Christian Light.
www.rodandstaffbooks.com

Then for fun unit studies which use picture books for 5 days (1 book per week) in a row taken lessons from those books Five In A Row is good.
www.fiveinarow.com

For science Magic School Bus vids are wonderful and you can do the simple hands on activities at the Schoolastic website that go with each vid.
http://www.scholastic.com/magicschoolbus/parentteacher/activities/index.htm

Christian Liberty Nature Readers are good:
http://www.christianbook.com/christian-liberty-reader-volumes-second-edition/pd/2732?item_code=WW&netp_id=112399&event=ESRCG&view=details

If you like history readers then Christian Liberty Press has a few good American history ones for this age.

http://www.christianbook.com/american-pioneers-patriots-second-edition-hardcover/caroline-emerson/9781932971514/pd/971513?item_code=WW&netp_id=436991&event=ESRCG&view=details

http://www.christianbook.com/history-stories-for-children-second-edition/john-wayland/9781932971071/pd/971071?event=CFN

http://www.christianbook.com/history-for-little-pilgrims/9781930092846/pd/79900?event=CFN

Liberty's Kids vids are good too.

For world history Child's Story of the World is very good:
(rainbow resource)

If you want an all in one language arts program Learning Language Arts Through Literature is good:
www.cspress.com

Most all of this can be found at Rainbow but some sites have better samples.

There are sooooo many different types of school books. ABeka, BJU and Christian Liberty offer text type of schooling. Alpha Omega, Christian LIght, ACE offer workbooks. I have given you a small idea of what is out there. Don't let it overwhelm you though. Think about what sort of mateirals you want to go with (lit base, workbook base, text base, etc) and narrow it down to those.

You can always use the library for science and history. If you are a Christian then you may want to be on the look out for books which do not line up with your beliefs...especially science books. Reading bios (even short picture book bios offer great education and give the children lots of reading practice.

I'm the lax one around here - lol - so take this with a grain of salt. I wouldn't spend money on anything if you are only going to try to fill the gap between two schools. The schools they are in now might be able to send home some of their workbooks or give you a corresponding plan. Finding out what they would miss in the UK school might be helpful, but it would only be for a little while (how long does it take to get what you need before they can be enrolled?) You might not even know what schools they would be in. There is a lot you can do on your own with kids that young and there are websites and blogs galore with free stuff. Try to keep them doing what they are used to in math, spelling, phonics, and reading. Everything else will be hit and miss. Go to the library, watch educational tv, talk, play games, read, read read. If you have to be accountable for everything you do, ask the new school or at least one that is a possibility for supplies.

Enjoy the extra time with your kids and trust that they will be fine in their new setting. Sounds like a wonderful adventure and if you are in the UK waiting for paperwork - there is a TON of history all around you to soak in!

Very good advice from all of you. Lots of things to take into consideration. Thank you.

Do you want school at home complete with teachers?
Christian or secular?
What are you looking for specifically?

Welcome!

Michelle32

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions