Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Math question

Math question

My ds is smart as a whip in math and is currently exceling with Saxon 7/6. He is in grade 6. My question is this, I already own BJU pre-algebra. Can I put him straight to it next year or do I need to do Saxon 8/7 first? I've heard that grade 7 is really optional if your kid flies through math.

re: Math question

If he is excelling with Saxon 7/6 this year, he should have no problems with Pre-Algebra next year.

Just want to mention that there is a huge difference between Saxon and BJU math. My dd did Saxon through 76, and then i switched her to BJU 7th grade math, "Fundamentals of Math". She struggled horribly through half the book, and we went back to Saxon. We did not do 8/7; we went to Alg 1/2 (Saxon's pre-alg). I'm not sure I would advise going from saxon 76 directly to BJU Pre-Algebra. BJU is much more rigorous than Saxon IMO.

OP, this is very much an individual thing. My dd did BJUP Math through Math 4, then Saxon 65 and 76, and then she did BJU 7th grade math, "Fundamentals of Math" with absolutely no problem at all. She and I both loved BJUP Math 7.

I loved the great layout of the TE which made it easy to use, the daily quizzes which took no more than 5 or 10 minutes but kept everything fresh in her mind, and she loved the layout of the ST book, the very logical way it built from concept to concept in an orderly and easy-to-follow way. There was a bit of overlap from Saxon 76 to BJUP Math 7, which I thought was a good thing.

Thanks all for your thoughts. Right now Saxon is 30% off at christianbooks.com. I don't know for how long which is why I'm already looking at next year's math plan.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions